Posted to dev@echarts.apache.org by Erik Anderson <ea...@pobox.com> on 2019/09/23 19:46:01 UTC

Hi ECharts, was good meeting some of you at ApacheCON. Recommended SVG publishing followup

Hi ECharts,

Was good meeting some of you at ApacheCON. EChats looks amazing. Its even better than D3&Vega.

I talked with Ovilia for a while after her Echarts presentation about backend/server side publishing of SVG. My understanding from conversations with Ovilia is that server side rendering of Echarts->SVG isnt supported.

At Bloomberg, our PDF report generation systems all run on the back end server.  A PDF contains many charts and graphics. We use SVG and converted it into Adobe PDF vectors because PNG/BMP pixelate and look horrible on large monitors or good quality printers.

Is there any interest in the Echarts community to support server side rendering of Echarts->SVG?

I assume this is an npm NodeJS package but which one?

I am sure the answer is on Google search somewhere but English and Echarts is hard to follow the right threads.

Erik Anderson
Bloomberg

Re: Hi ECharts, was good meeting some of you at ApacheCON. Recommended SVG publishing followup

Posted by Ovilia <ov...@gmail.com>.
I think we should probably provide a npm cli tool to help users generate
SVG files in command line.

Erik, do you need a tool to generate PDF containing ECharts charts? If you
need something else like annotation, this may be not easy to do. But if you
only need charts and chart descriptions, I think it is possible to provide
such PDF generation tool.

Wenli

Posted by Yi Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erik

ECharts didn't plan to support server-side SVG rendering directly because
there is no DOM environment in the node.js.

But I tried to use JSDom to simulate the DOM environment in the node.js,
then run ECharts with SVG renderer. It works well.
Here is a code snippet in the gist:

https://gist.github.com/pissang/4c32ee30e35c91336af72b129a1a4a73

You can run it with node-canvas and JSDom installed. Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Erik Anderson <ea...@pobox.com> 于2019年9月24日周二 上午3:46写道:

> Hi ECharts,
>
> Was good meeting some of you at ApacheCON. EChats looks amazing. Its even
> better than D3&Vega.
>
> I talked with Ovilia for a while after her Echarts presentation about
> backend/server side publishing of SVG. My understanding from conversations
> with Ovilia is that server side rendering of Echarts->SVG isnt supported.
>
> At Bloomberg, our PDF report generation systems all run on the back end
> server.  A PDF contains many charts and graphics. We use SVG and converted
> it into Adobe PDF vectors because PNG/BMP pixelate and look horrible on
> large monitors or good quality printers.
>
> Is there any interest in the Echarts community to support server side
> rendering of Echarts->SVG?
>
> I assume this is an npm NodeJS package but which one?
>
> I am sure the answer is on Google search somewhere but English and Echarts
> is hard to follow the right threads.
>
> Erik Anderson
> Bloomberg

Yi Shen