Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/03 16:05:29 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Transaction 1.2

Hi Oliver,

Since RC3 was created (back in July 2006!) there is now the new
"Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy" that needs to be complied
with:
  http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Henri fixed this in the trunk for transaction a few weeks ago - but
warrants a new RC IMO.

Also Rahul raised the issue about dependency jars held in the
repository - and it looked to me like you were going to change the
build to download these automatically, rather than including them in
the distro:
  http://tinyurl.com/yby9hd

I also think given the long time between cutting the RC and voting
this makes the case for tagging the repository - initially I wondered
where this had been built from as it didn't match any current source -
until I releaized it had been done so long ago.

Niall

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke <at> gmx.de> writes:

> > The ant build only seems to work for JDK 1.3 when the geronimo jars
> > are overriden with the sun ones and doesn't work for me for JDK 1.4
>
> Yes, it stands and fails with the correct jee jars as I wrote recently [1].

Works now with 1.3 compiled Geronimo jars. Created them by checking out the
tagged 1.1 versions (i.e. delivered with Geronimo 1.1) and modifying the POMs.

> > (tests fail because it can't find junit).
>
> This might have been done with an especially prepared Ant. You either have to
> drop both ant-junit.jar (Ant task) and junit.jar (JUnit itself) into Ant
> classpaths or separate both jars from it [2]. (This seems to have changed with
> Ant 1.7.) I guess the dist was always done with junit.jar dropped into Ant's
> classpath as there is no taskdef in build.xml.

Using Ant 1.7 the build indeed works as is.

> Hmm, wait, Cocoon 2.1 uses them as well and also claims 1.3 compatibility.

Cocoon had only jta in use, but missed jca. That's why I had to do all the
things mentioned above.

> > If it helps I can tag and produce another RC (using the maven build).

It would be really fine if you (or Oliver when he is around) could create a new
dist. This works for me with both JDK 1.3 and 1.4 when using Ant 1.7. For
including all files and the XA/JTA/JCA stuff it must be distributed with JDK
1.4. The compiled stuff should be usable with JDK 1.3 though. What I tested was
a dist with 1.4 and an immediate "ant test" with 1.3 afterwards which worked (it
did not recompile the classes, only the tests).

Regards,
Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Transaction 1.2

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The ant build only seems to work for JDK 1.3 when the geronimo jars
> are overriden with the sun ones and doesn't work for me for JDK 1.4

Yes, it stands and fails with the correct jee jars as I wrote recently [1].

> (tests fail because it can't find junit).

This might have been done with an especially prepared Ant. You either have to
drop both ant-junit.jar (Ant task) and junit.jar (JUnit itself) into Ant
classpaths or separate both jars from it [2]. (This seems to have changed with
Ant 1.7.) I guess the dist was always done with junit.jar dropped into Ant's
classpath as there is no taskdef in build.xml.

> So it seems a waste of time having them in the repo. I can update the ant
> build to download the other jars (or allow them to be specified in a
> build.properties) if its important to have a working ant  build for 1.3.

In general I don't like the need for internet access on build time. But with Ant
it's at least better than with Maven as the build environment itself does not
get changed.

Is it really the only solution? Can Geronimo offer those jars compiled with JDK
1.3 (whoever has to do this work)? Hmm, wait, Cocoon 2.1 uses them as well and
also claims 1.3 compatibility. I'll have a look.

Even if not I do not see it as a blocker if the build does not work with 1.3.
The same was true for older releases, so there is no deterioration. It only must
be runnable with 1.3 and this should be true when you have 1.3 compiled jee jars.

> I'm wondering how the RC was created since neither the ant or maven
> builds seem to currently produce what RC3 contained.

No idea. But if JUnit is the only remaining problem when building with 1.4 I
wrote a probable subtile difference in the environment above.

> If it helps I can tag and produce another RC (using the maven build).

That would be fine as I don't have any experience with releasing on Apache.
(I only have written a company internal build system based on Ant 1.6 2 years
ago, where I just need to do "dist projectname" and everything happens from
clean check out to tagging and finally putting it into a local repository.)

Regards
Jörg

[2] http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/junit.html

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Transaction 1.2

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/07, Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Since RC3 was created (back in July 2006!) there is now the new
> > "Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy" that needs to be complied
> > with: http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
> >
> > Henri fixed this in the trunk for transaction a few weeks ago - but
> > warrants a new RC IMO.
>
> Ok, that's an issue.
>
> > Also Rahul raised the issue about dependency jars held in the
> > repository - and it looked to me like you were going to change the
> > build to download these automatically, rather than including them in
> > the distro: http://tinyurl.com/yby9hd
>
> We wanted to get out the release as fast as possible. This issue can be
> postponed and addressed later IMO.

The ant build only seems to work for JDK 1.3 when the geronimo jars
are overriden with the sun ones and doesn't work for me for JDK 1.4
(tests fail because it can't find junit). So it seems a waste of time
having them in the repo. I can update the ant build to download the
other jars (or allow them to be specified in a build.properties) if
its important to have a working ant  build for 1.3.

> > I also think given the long time between cutting the RC and voting
> > this makes the case for tagging the repository - initially I wondered
> > where this had been built from as it didn't match any current source -
> > until I releaized it had been done so long ago.
>
> The long time itself is not an issue, nothing has changed on the source code
> since the latest RC except the headers. The commits I did recently don't fix the
> issue (not buildable with JDK 1.3 due to 1.4 compiled dependencies), but only
> show the issue at a different during a build. This itself does not warrant a new
> RC IMO, but as the headers do so, it will be included in that RC as well.

I'm wondering how the RC was created since neither the ant or maven
builds seem to currently produce what RC3 contained. Maybe a
combination of the two was used with some manual intervention? IMO its
important for the release to be easily re-created and the maven1 build
should be used since the ant build seems to have too many problems.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Since RC3 was created (back in July 2006!) there is now the new
> "Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy" that needs to be complied
> with: http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>
> Henri fixed this in the trunk for transaction a few weeks ago - but
> warrants a new RC IMO.

Ok, that's an issue.