Posted to general@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2002/12/20 03:55:18 UTC

["Jeff Hobbs" ] The Tcl/Tk plugin lives!

It's alive!

After a one month revamp of the sources, I have just commited a major
rewrite of the plugin to the tclplugin project at SourceForge:
	https://sourceforge.net/projects/tclplugin/

For those not already on the tclplugin-core mailing list, this is the
only message you will get unless you subscribe to that list through the
SF site.  I have also clamped down to only allow registered users to
post to the list, since it has had spam problems before.

This represents a significant chunk of time that we (ActiveState) are
putting back into the open so that we may all soon be enjoying tclets.
In the future, it is likely to be distributed with ActiveTcl as well
as independently in some form (for those who just need a working plugin).

I had to wrangle with bugs in the plugin as well as in the Tcl core, so
when working with it, assume you should have the latest core builds
available.

I have had to make a few changes to get things working satifactorily
with the updated state of web browsers.  The plugin sources represent
an updated, functional NPAPI plugin (for Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, ...).
There is an ActiveX control to host NPAPI plugins from Mozilla (see
ChangeLog for URL) that I have used to successfully use the plugin with
IE6.

I have tested the plugin successfully with Win/IE5.5 and IE6, Win/Moz1.2,
Lin/N4 and Lin/Moz1.2.

I had to change the unix model to always be out-of-proc due to changes
in the way Mozilla treats plugins.  I don't see this as a real problem,
except that it requires more configuration out of the box.

The plugin build system is entirely TEA2 based.  Don't try installing it,
I'm assembling everything by hand at this point.  This message is just to
get people who are interested in as early influencers.  I won't go into
too much detail of what else is required as that can continue on the list.

At this point though, I am relying on an existing dynamic Tcl installation
(ActiveTcl of course in my case).  I don't want to start off focusing on
packaging though - the plugin has a ways to go in general functionality
before we get to packaging.

Pass this on to whomever you wish - just tell them to subscribe to
tclplugin-core to get in on the action.

  Jeff Hobbs                     The Tcl Guy
  Senior Developer               http://www.ActiveState.com/
      Tcl Support and Productivity Solutions

--
David N. Welton