Posted to users@maven.apache.org by rmahnovetsky <rm...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/11 03:33:36 UTC

maven repository setup for different profiles

Hey all

The issue I'm having is wondering what the best way to set up our maven
internal repo. Should we use the repo to hold production builds or developer
builds or should we have a two repos or ?.

Atm we use the repo to store production build artifacts. But this is not the
best solution for the developers as the production build does not work on
the developers boxes. This may be because the prod build is built for oc4j
were the developer use tomcat or jetty. The difference between the builds
maybe be configuration an/or  jars dependencies. So the developer will then
need to download the source and compile, hence being time consuming.

Does anyone else have the same issues, if so how the you deal with it?

Raf

Re: maven repository setup for different profiles

Posted by rmahnovetsky <rm...@gmail.com>.
wow what service, super fast reply ;)

That is a good point with minimizing the difference between config for the
artifacts. Which we can do in the majority of the situations. Really the
only time we can't is when we have to split up a web app into core and a web
components, so core will then have different builds. This is where the
classifier looks like it will solve our issue :)

We are not using a snapshot repo atm. I haven't really dived into the pros
and cons of having one. I imagine it will make life easier for us as we wont
have to do a release to share code or for the other developers to bring down
the code and recompile if in a snapshot. I'll have to look into that. If
anyone wants to share their experience with a snapshot repo good and bad
would be welcome to.

Raf

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.