Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Harkishan Singh <ha...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/03 09:18:54 UTC

Restricting property with owl:someValuesFrom

Hi,

Suppose I'm having a graph like shown below:

​Can I restrict "wins" property with owl:someValuesFrom
("Wimbledon","FrenchOpen","US Open") or is there any rule by which I can
say this.

Thanks in advance

Re: Restricting property with owl:someValuesFrom

Posted by Harkishan Singh <ha...@gmail.com>.
Or you can check the Graph at this link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Euv31H-KpTdnJFODNTS3VQM1k/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks

Posted by Harkishan Singh <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On 03/09/14 08:18, Harkishan Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suppose I'm having a graph like shown below:

As Joshua said this list doesn't support attachments, however your
googledocs link worked.

> ​Can I restrict "wins" property with owl:someValuesFrom
> ("Wimbledon","FrenchOpen","US Open")

No, or rather you are free to state that but it doesn't fit your
diagram, that shows the range of wins as being event occurrences
(event/year pairs) not tournament series.

or is there any rule by which I can
> say this.

What you mean by "this", what is it you want to state?

If you want wins to only apply to the GrandSlamTournaments (which would
seem like an odd thing to say) then one approach would be to create a
class TournamentOccurrence with properties event and year, then a
subclass of that GrandSlamTournamentOccurrence with an allValuesFrom
restriction on event to GrandSlamTournaments. Then the range of wins
could be declared as GrandSlamTournamentOccurrence.

If you want to say that good players are people who have won at least
one GrandSlamTournament then you could indeed use someValuesFrom on
GrandSlamTournamentOccurrence.

Note 0: A lot easier to do as a query than as a set of owl restrictions.

Note 1: this question doesn't seem to be Jena specific, you would be
better off going to an OWL list.

Note 2: with OWL 2's property chains you may be able to avoid some of
the intermediate classes but Jena doesn't support OWL 2.

Note 3: generally something like TennisPlayer should be a role not a class.

Dave