Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Eric LEMOINE <el...@mirantis.com> on 2015/12/21 10:11:44 UTC

mesos-elasticsearch vs Elasticsearch with Marathon

Hi

I am new to Mesos and I have a naive question related to Elasticsearch,
Mesos and Marathon.

So there's the mesos-elasticsearch [*] project which provides a Mesos
framework/scheduler for Elasticsearch. I guess it's also possible to run
Elasticsearch with Marathon. What are the fundamental differences between
the two approaches? When should one favor one approach over the other one?
What are the reasons for using mesos-elasticsearch instead of just running
Elasticsearch on top of Marathon?

Thanks for any insight.

[*] <http://mesos-elasticsearch.readthedocs.org>

Re: mesos-elasticsearch vs Elasticsearch with Marathon

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
have a try on two ways. write some experience and share to us. it 's welcome

--
Deshi Xiao
Twitter: xds2000

Re: mesos-elasticsearch vs Elasticsearch with Marathon

Posted by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com>.
I'll just toss another way.. there is an elastic search on yarn framework
that actually works really nice with Apache Myriad (for running Yarn on
Mesos) I know it sounds a bit convoluted but I have set it up so I can
create ES clusters on demand, just give me a cluster name, and node size,
and it will spin up a cluster. Want to add more nodes? Great, each "scale"
operation adds another yarn application... so you could start with a 3 node
cluster, then add 2 nodes, add 2 nodes add 3 nodes.  You'd have a 10 node
cluster, but you could scale down by 3 or 2 nodes because each time you've
added nodes it's a separate yarn application that can be killed.

I was using MapR FS as my base filesystem, so that also helps with data
storage etc.

Posted by craig w <co...@gmail.com>.
We have elasticsearch in a docker container. We configure elasticsearch to
have ports 9200 and other port 9300 (this is for "transport.tcp.port"). We
modify the elasticsearch configuration file on startup to add the IP
addresses of other elasticsearch instances (we query mesos-dns for these ip
addresses).

Posted by Alex Rukletsov <al...@mesosphere.com>.
Craig,

Posted by craig w <co...@gmail.com>.