Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/24 17:37:29 UTC

What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Now that we are making more progress with the SCA & BPEL integration
and have figured out how to make References to work, let's discuss
what could be the next steps on this area. Below are couple examples
of what we could do next

- WS-BPEL Process Introspection : Currently we are requiring SCA
componentType files, we could introspect the BPEL process file to
generate the component type information from it.

- Integrate BEPL with the store scenario tutorial : We could add a
OrderProcessing step to the store checkout, and illustrate a more real
integration scenario.

Other then these, we could review the
SCA_ClientAndImplementationModelFor BPEL and identify other areas that
we might need enhancements. Scenarios / Samples / Demos are always
welcome too. Or if you have other suggestions, feel free to jump to
the discussion.

BTW: Copying the ODE list in case they want to jump and help, or in
case they have other ideas.

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Now that we are making more progress with the SCA & BPEL integration
> and have figured out how to make References to work, let's discuss
> what could be the next steps on this area. Below are couple examples
> of what we could do next
>
> - WS-BPEL Process Introspection : Currently we are requiring SCA
> componentType files, we could introspect the BPEL process file to
> generate the component type information from it.
>
> - Integrate BEPL with the store scenario tutorial : We could add a
> OrderProcessing step to the store checkout, and illustrate a more real
> integration scenario.
>
> Other then these, we could review the
> SCA_ClientAndImplementationModelFor BPEL and identify other areas that
> we might need enhancements. Scenarios / Samples / Demos are always
> welcome too. Or if you have other suggestions, feel free to jump to
> the discussion.
>
> BTW: Copying the ODE list in case they want to jump and help, or in
> case they have other ideas.

I was thinking about the deployment model as well. Right now you still need
a deploy.xml descriptor to tell ODE how to bind a partnerLink to a concrete
port. In an SCA context I'm thinking this should be handled by the
container.

Matthieu

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> Now that we are making more progress with the SCA & BPEL integration
> and have figured out how to make References to work, let's discuss
> what could be the next steps on this area. Below are couple examples
> of what we could do next
>
> - WS-BPEL Process Introspection : Currently we are requiring SCA
> componentType files, we could introspect the BPEL process file to
> generate the component type information from it.
>
> - Integrate BEPL with the store scenario tutorial : We could add a
> OrderProcessing step to the store checkout, and illustrate a more real
> integration scenario.
>
> Other then these, we could review the
> SCA_ClientAndImplementationModelFor BPEL and identify other areas that
> we might need enhancements. Scenarios / Samples / Demos are always
> welcome too. Or if you have other suggestions, feel free to jump to
> the discussion.
>
> BTW: Copying the ODE list in case they want to jump and help, or in
> case they have other ideas.

Luciano,

WS_BPEL Process introspection is top of my list.  Having to write
componentType side files is a miserable business, particularly when all
the information you need is sitting there in the BPEL Process XML.  The
Spring implementation is a good model - the Spring application context
is ripped through to produce the componentType and so side file is ever
needed.

A good BPEL sample is called for.  One based on some order process seems
good to me.  It should also involve the BPEL process making asynchronous
calls to back end services, which means stretching the support on
references to include callbacks.

We should consider integrating with the tutorial after building a good
standalone BPEL sample.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Jean-Jacques Dubray <jd...@gmail.com>.
Luciano:

congrats on this milestone. You might also want to consider the other way
around, from an SCA component type, generate the skeleton BPEL
(send/receive/invokes, partner links...).

I am looking forward to build some samples with it !

JJ-

--
Jean-Jacques Dubray
425-445-4467

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration - component type update done

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Luciano Resende wrote:
> Cool Mike, this is very good improvement for the bpel impl...
>
> BTW, could you please check if you have committed one of the new model
> classes : BPELPartnerLinkTypeExt
>
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Mike Edwards
> <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Luciano,

The class BPELPartnerLinkExt is a new part of the interface-wsdl-xml module, which was committed
under 654287, separately from the changes to the implementation-bpel package.

BPELPartnerLinkExt is a class which handles the <partnerLinkType.../> elements which turn up as
extensions in WSDL documents, separate from the BPEL process documents.

I wrote a BPELExtensionHandler class to deal with reading & writing these elements as part of WSDL
documents and I have added this extension handler to the WSDLDocumentProcessor class, which does the
handling of WSDL files.  I thought it was better to keep this stuff in the WSDL processing code -
there may be other extensions which we may well need to handle in WSDL files and I suspect it is
best to keep all the extensions in one place so that it is plain for everyone to see the full extent
of our WSDL handling.

I hope it all works - it could for sure do with some more testcases, especially error cases like
missing links between particular partnerLinks and the portTypes which define their interfaces.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration - component type update done

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Mike Edwards wrote:
> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> Are you guys still making changes to the BPEL code?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to work with BPEL components in the domain without
>> having to boot the whole runtime. I'd like to do it sometime later
>> this week but for that to work I'll need to split implementation-bpel
>> in two modules (model and runtime) like we've already done for other
>> implementation types.
>>
>> Is now a good time to do that split or is it going to conflict with
>> the changes you've been working on? Any chance you guys can commit
>> your changes to avoid complex merging? or should I make the split on
>> the side in sandbox to give you more time to work on this and then we
>> merge later?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Jean-Sebastien,
>
> OK, the component type introspection updates are done and committed
> under 654282.
>
> You're free to go do the split.
>

> Yours,  Mike.

Great, Thanks! I'll go and do it soon.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration - component type update done

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:

> Are you guys still making changes to the BPEL code?
>
> I'd like to be able to work with BPEL components in the domain without
> having to boot the whole runtime. I'd like to do it sometime later this
> week but for that to work I'll need to split implementation-bpel in two
> modules (model and runtime) like we've already done for other
> implementation types.
>
> Is now a good time to do that split or is it going to conflict with the
> changes you've been working on? Any chance you guys can commit your
> changes to avoid complex merging? or should I make the split on the side
> in sandbox to give you more time to work on this and then we merge later?
>
> Thanks

Jean-Sebastien,

Yes, I am changing the BPEL code to introspect the BPEL process to create the componentType.

It has taken longer than I hoped but I am nearly there now and I hope to commit the changes later
today.  Please don't start the split work before I do that or you'll trash my work.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
This is great, various good ideas and various volunteers...
I'll raise JIRAs to better track progress with these items.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ashwini Kumar Jeksani <As...@infosys.com>.
Ok mike. I will try to create the test cases for testing the generation of component types from the bpel processes.
Could you tell me if there is any standard format/template that you use in Tuscany for writing test cases.

Thanks & Regards
Ashwini Kumar Jeksani

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashwini Kumar Jeksani <As...@infosys.com>.
Hi,

Does Tuscany support SCA Extentions to WS-BPEL? If it doesn't then I guess we could look into that one as well.

Thanks & Regards
Ashwini Kumar Jeksani

>  > Now that we are making more progress with the SCA & BPEL integration
>  > and have figured out how to make References to work, let's discuss
>  > what could be the next steps on this area. Below are couple examples
>  > of what we could do next
>  >
>  > - WS-BPEL Process Introspection : Currently we are requiring SCA
>  > componentType files, we could introspect the BPEL process file to
>  > generate the component type information from it.
>  >
>  > - Integrate BEPL with the store scenario tutorial : We could add a
>  > OrderProcessing step to the store checkout, and illustrate a more real
>  > integration scenario.
>  >
>  > Other then these, we could review the
>  > SCA_ClientAndImplementationModelFor BPEL and identify other areas that
>  > we might need enhancements. Scenarios / Samples / Demos are always
>  > welcome too. Or if you have other suggestions, feel free to jump to
>  > the discussion.
>  >
>  > BTW: Copying the ODE list in case they want to jump and help, or in
>  > case they have other ideas.
>  >
>  >
>  Not a very exciting one but is there any clean up of the dependencies
>  possible? Currently using the implementation.bpel extension brings in 78
>  addition dependency jars at about 20meg, i wondered if some of those could
>  get excluded?
>
>    ...ant

Part of this is because we have a Embedded ODE BPEL engine, and that
itself brings several dependencies. But this is certainly something to
investigate. It would be also good if ODE could be more
flexible/dynamic with some dependencies (e.g Saxon) and only really
require these dependencies if they are going to be in use, this would
help our side as well.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Mike Edwards <
mike.edwards.inglenook@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
>> commons-primitives-1.0.jar
>> derby-10.3.1.4.jar
>> dom4j-1.6.1.jar
>> ecore-2.2.3.jar
>> ecore-change-2.2.3.jar
>> ecore-xmi-2.2.3.jar
>> geronimo-common-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-connector-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-core-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-deployment-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec-1.0.jar
>> geronimo-interceptor-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-j2ee-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec-1.1.jar
>> geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
>> geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
>> geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.0.jar
>> geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0.jar
>> geronimo-kernel-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-management-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-naming-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-security-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-spec-j2ee-connector-1.5-rc4.jar
>> geronimo-spec-jta-1.0.1B-rc4.jar
>> geronimo-system-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-transaction-1.2-beta.jar
>> geronimo-util-1.2-beta.jar
>> howl-1.0.1-1.jar
>> icu4j-2.6.1.jar
>> javacc-3.2.jar
>> jaxen-1.1.1.jar
>> jdom-1.0.jar
>> log4j-1.2.13.jar
>> ode-bpel-api-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-compiler-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-dao-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-epr-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-obj-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-runtime-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-schemas-1.1.jar
>> ode-bpel-store-1.1.jar
>> ode-dao-jpa-1.1.jar
>> ode-jacob-1.1.jar
>> ode-jacob-ap-1.1.jar
>> ode-scheduler-simple-1.1.jar
>> ode-utils-1.1.jar
>> openjpa-all-0.9.7-incubating.jar
>> openjpa-persistence-0.9.7-incubating.jar
>> org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.0.0.jar
>> org.apache.felix.framework-1.0.1.jar
>> org.apache.felix.main-1.0.1.jar
>> org.apache.felix.shell-1.0.0.jar
>> org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.0.0.jar
>> regexp-1.3.jar
>> saxon-8.7.jar
>> saxon-dom-8.7.jar
>> saxon-xpath-8.7.jar
>> serp-1.12.0.jar
>> tranql-connector-1.1.jar
>> tuscany-databinding-sdo-2.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> tuscany-implementation-bpel-2.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
>> xalan-2.7.0.jar
>> xbean-naming-2.7.jar
>> xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
>> xml-apis-1.3.02.jar
>> xml-resolver-1.1.jar
>> xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar
>> xmlParserAPIs-2.6.2.jar
>> XmlSchema-1.3.2.jar
>> xom-1.0.jar
>> xsd-2.2.3.jar
>>
>>   ...ant
>>
>>  I suggest that we get the functionality of <implementation.bpel.../>
> working first before we start to worry about the amount of clobber that it
> involves.  It is barely working at the moment.

Fair enough, I've not tried using it yet so didn't realize it was still so
rough.

   ...ant

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
ant elder wrote:

> [...]
> commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
> commons-primitives-1.0.jar
> derby-10.3.1.4.jar
> dom4j-1.6.1.jar
> ecore-2.2.3.jar
> ecore-change-2.2.3.jar
> ecore-xmi-2.2.3.jar
> geronimo-common-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-connector-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-core-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-deployment-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-ejb_3.0_spec-1.0.jar
> geronimo-interceptor-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-j2ee-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec-1.1.jar
> geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
> geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.1.jar
> geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec-1.0.jar
> geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0.jar
> geronimo-kernel-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-management-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-naming-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-security-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-spec-j2ee-connector-1.5-rc4.jar
> geronimo-spec-jta-1.0.1B-rc4.jar
> geronimo-system-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-transaction-1.2-beta.jar
> geronimo-util-1.2-beta.jar
> howl-1.0.1-1.jar
> icu4j-2.6.1.jar
> javacc-3.2.jar
> jaxen-1.1.1.jar
> jdom-1.0.jar
> log4j-1.2.13.jar
> ode-bpel-api-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-compiler-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-dao-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-epr-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-obj-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-runtime-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-schemas-1.1.jar
> ode-bpel-store-1.1.jar
> ode-dao-jpa-1.1.jar
> ode-jacob-1.1.jar
> ode-jacob-ap-1.1.jar
> ode-scheduler-simple-1.1.jar
> ode-utils-1.1.jar
> openjpa-all-0.9.7-incubating.jar
> openjpa-persistence-0.9.7-incubating.jar
> org.apache.felix.bundlerepository-1.0.0.jar
> org.apache.felix.framework-1.0.1.jar
> org.apache.felix.main-1.0.1.jar
> org.apache.felix.shell-1.0.0.jar
> org.apache.felix.shell.tui-1.0.0.jar
> regexp-1.3.jar
> saxon-8.7.jar
> saxon-dom-8.7.jar
> saxon-xpath-8.7.jar
> serp-1.12.0.jar
> tranql-connector-1.1.jar
> tuscany-databinding-sdo-2.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
> tuscany-implementation-bpel-2.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT.jar
> xalan-2.7.0.jar
> xbean-naming-2.7.jar
> xercesImpl-2.8.1.jar
> xml-apis-1.3.02.jar
> xml-resolver-1.1.jar
> xmlbeans-2.3.0.jar
> xmlParserAPIs-2.6.2.jar
> XmlSchema-1.3.2.jar
> xom-1.0.jar
> xsd-2.2.3.jar
>
>    ...ant

I suggest that we get the functionality of <implementation.bpel.../>
working first before we start to worry about the amount of clobber that
it involves.  It is barely working at the moment.

I admit that the amount of code is alarming, but we shall have to work
with other groups to find out what could be removed without harm.  That
is a longer-term task.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: What's next for SCA & BPEL Integration

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 8:53 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
> >  wrote:
> >

> >  > Now that we are making more progress with the SCA & BPEL integration
> >  > and have figured out how to make References to work, let's discuss
> >  > what could be the next steps on this area. Below are couple examples
> >  > of what we could do next
> >  >
> >  > - WS-BPEL Process Introspection : Currently we are requiring SCA
> >  > componentType files, we could introspect the BPEL process file to
> >  > generate the component type information from it.
> >  >
> >  > - Integrate BEPL with the store scenario tutorial : We could add a
> >  > OrderProcessing step to the store checkout, and illustrate a more real
> >  > integration scenario.
> >  >
> >  > Other then these, we could review the
> >  > SCA_ClientAndImplementationModelFor BPEL and identify other areas that
> >  > we might need enhancements. Scenarios / Samples / Demos are always
> >  > welcome too. Or if you have other suggestions, feel free to jump to
> >  > the discussion.
> >  >
> >  > BTW: Copying the ODE list in case they want to jump and help, or in
> >  > case they have other ideas.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  Not a very exciting one but is there any clean up of the dependencies
> >  possible? Currently using the implementation.bpel extension brings in 78
> >  addition dependency jars at about 20meg, i wondered if some of those
> could
> >  get excluded?
> >
> >    ...ant
> >

> Part of this is because we have a Embedded ODE BPEL engine, and that
> itself brings several dependencies. But this is certainly something to
> investigate. It would be also good if ODE could be more
> flexible/dynamic with some dependencies (e.g Saxon) and only really
> require these dependencies if they are going to be in use, this would
> help our side as well.

Saxon is going to be hard to remove, there are very few BPEL processes that
won't need any XPath expressions to execute so I'm not sure it's one we can
save. But you're right for the embedded engine, right now we use our own
stuff for everything ODE needs to execute: connection pool, transaction
manager, jpa instance, thread pool, ... I'm guessing for many of these we
could reuse what comes with Tuscany.

Cheers,
Matthieu

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.