Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/03/07 21:31:29 UTC

Deprecation warning

If you take a look at the following, you will see that Rhino is about to
deprecate an interface that Batik is using:

   http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-03-05/xml-batik.html

If people are interested, I can arrange to automatically forward such
information to this mailing list.

I would be interested in knowing the status of the patch I sent to remove
crimson as a compile time dependency for batik.

As I hinted on general@xml.apache.org, I plan to look into adding support
for more scripting languages via BSF.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Deprecation warning

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com>.
Sam,

Thanks for your patch. It is in my queue. As you know, the dependancy
on crimson is in a regression tool we used for testing, not in any of
the core Batik modules, but still, thanks for the patch, it is helping
us
and I will put it in. In the future, if you have another patch,
thanks for sending it to batik-dev rather than general@xml.apache.org
or please cc batik-dev if you want your message on general.

Also, I have seen your message on 'general@xml.apache.org' where you
say:

> Priorities in open source projects tend not to be determined in a top down
> fashion, but rather based on where the exist an adequate number of
> volunteers to work on a given area.  If a volunteer were to show up wishing
> to replace this particular area with a more general solution, and promising
> not to perturb the overall tighter integration with Rhino in the process,
> would such a volunteer be welcome?

Yes, contributions are welcome and I agree that
this is the way open source projects should work. I also think
it is sound to leverage all the expertise on a subject and
have the discussion (as we are having now) with the developers
and commiters that have been involved in a specific area of the
design so far (there has been a lot of work in Batik, and I realize
there has been a lot of work in other projects as well, so I
am very optimistic that cooperation will produce awsome
results :-)

About the BSF, I think Stephane and Christophe have told you the
reasons for our decision and I think Stephane pointed some of our
needs to wrap some of the DOM classes and I think we should continue
the discussion, if need be, on this mailing list.

Note too that while we have scripting in, we do not completely support
scripted SVG yet per say, as we are going to add that feature shortly
(but it is not in yet). Right now, events are propagated to script
event handlers and scripts can modify the DOM, but there is no visual
update of the document yet (this is the part we are adding next).

So the timing for your contribution is really good, at a time where we
are going to do a lot more with scripting.

Cheers & welcome to Batik!
Vincent.

P.S: As you mentioned that BSF is used in other project, I take it
the BSF license terms are compatible with the Apache distribution
license?

Re: Deprecation warning

Posted by Christophe Jolif <cj...@ilog.fr>.
Sam,

Sam Ruby wrote:

> If you take a look at the following, you will see that Rhino is about to
> deprecate an interface that Batik is using:
>
>    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2001-03-05/xml-batik.html

I looked at your output and it is written that the ImporterTopLevel
interface is deprecated. First as I regularly compile my distribution
with the deprecation option of javac, it seems very strange to me to see
such an error in your output, that's why I just downloaded last Rhino
tip to verify if it has been recently modified in a public release.
After verification, ImporterTopLevel (which is by the way a class not an
interface) is still not marked as deprecated in last Rhino Tip. My
conclusion is that we are in one of these cases:

- you have access to a non released version of Rhino that has been
modified and in this case compiling Batik with it is really not intended
(1)
- your tool produces a non expected error [the error is elsewhere or
doesn't exist at all] (2)

> As I hinted on general@xml.apache.org, I plan to look into adding support
> for more scripting languages via BSF.

By the way, BSF is also using the theorically deprecated interface
"ImporterTopLevel" :-(

--
Christophe