Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Lars Eirik Rønning <la...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/19 18:48:31 UTC

SVG text to pdf

Hi.
I recently got this warning :  Ascender and descender together are larger
than the em box. This could lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache
FOP.
Could someone please help to understand what this mean.

My svg elements are done like this:

<text style="font-family:arial;font-size=18>
<tspan x=0 dy="24">first line</tspan>
<tspan x=0 dy="24">second line</span>

</text>

Re: SVG text to pdf

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
For SVG usage, you can safely ignore that. It's irrelevant. Even if you
were using XSL-FO, the likelihood of bad baseline placement is now very
low. Basically, I should remove this message altogether since it doesn't
help and just confuses.

The thing about this warning: FOP needs the ascender and descender
values from a font's metrics to do layout. Some fonts contain values
that would lead to completely wrong line spacing. I had to write some
code some time ago that tries to find different, more useful values to
avoid strange layouts. I've never really found out what other
applications do in such situations. Maybe we're still doing something
wrong. But nobody complained.

On 19.11.2008 18:48:31 Lars Eirik Rønning wrote:
> Hi.
> I recently got this warning :  Ascender and descender together are larger
> than the em box. This could lead to a wrong baseline placement in Apache
> FOP.
> Could someone please help to understand what this mean.
>
> My svg elements are done like this:
>
> <text style="font-family:arial;font-size=18>
> <tspan x=0 dy="24">first line</tspan>
> <tspan x=0 dy="24">second line</span>
>
> </text>

Jeremias Maerki