Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/11/21 21:09:32 UTC

Re: [commons-logging] Remove commons-logging-1.1-dev.jar fromapache repository

robert burrell donkin wrote:
> anyone know why they would want to depend on a very old version with
> known bugs?

It's 1.1-dev, not 1.0-dev, and I think that someone (could have been one
of the xdoclet devs) once told me it was "much much faster". I didn't
quite believe it, but never tried.

I'd be inclined to refuse upload of future releases if this is still there.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: [commons-logging] Remove commons-logging-1.1-dev.jar fromapache repository

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 07:09 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>>robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>
>>>anyone know why they would want to depend on a very old version with
>>>known bugs?
>>
>>It's 1.1-dev, not 1.0-dev, and I think that someone (could have been one
>>of the xdoclet devs) once told me it was "much much faster". I didn't
>>quite believe it, but never tried.
>

> the version's somewhere between 1.0 and 1.0.1 and i'm really not sure
> how it could possibly be 'much much faster' :-/

heh. confusing :)

> it may be a little faster since it probably lacks some of the complex
> code which is required to cope with the nightmarish variety of
> classloaders to be found out there in the wild but that's unlikely to
> make much of a difference in real use cases and certainly is much less
> than choosing a performant logging strategy.

right, that makes sense.

>>I'd be inclined to refuse upload of future releases if this is still there.
>

> future JCL releases?

oh, no - xdoclet. I'll file a bug there if they still depend on it.

Thanks,
Brett

Re: [commons-logging] Remove commons-logging-1.1-dev.jar fromapache repository

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 07:09 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > anyone know why they would want to depend on a very old version with
> > known bugs?
>
> It's 1.1-dev, not 1.0-dev, and I think that someone (could have been one
> of the xdoclet devs) once told me it was "much much faster". I didn't
> quite believe it, but never tried.

the version's somewhere between 1.0 and 1.0.1 and i'm really not sure
how it could possibly be 'much much faster' :-/

it may be a little faster since it probably lacks some of the complex
code which is required to cope with the nightmarish variety of
classloaders to be found out there in the wild but that's unlikely to
make much of a difference in real use cases and certainly is much less
than choosing a performant logging strategy.

> I'd be inclined to refuse upload of future releases if this is still there.

future JCL releases?

- robert