Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Julian Löffelhardt <ju...@austria.fm> on 2002/12/09 17:17:45 UTC

tomcat,mod_jk & loadbalancing

Hi,

I'm using an Apache <---> 3 Tomcats loadbalancing scenario with

Apache 1.3.26 mod_jk 1.2.0
3 x tomcat 4.0.4

The tomcats are configured with:
Xmx: 512m
AJP13 Connector allows for 800 connections

Each worker is set up like this and added to an loadbalanced worker

worker.host1.port=8009
worker.host1.host=host1
worker.host1.type=ajp13
worker.host1.lbfactor=10
worker.host1.socket_timeout=300

I keep experiencing the following problems:
-The threadcount of each tomcat process keeps increasing (never decreases)
- The memory usage keeps also increasing
- When examinig the tomcat process with "ps -aux" I see many(>200) threads
older than 1 day.
    I  thought that teh socket_timeout would always stop such threads after
5 minutes

The AJP-Connectior threads keep throwing exceptions like:

2002-12-09 16:58:59 Ajp13Processor[8009][583] process: invoke
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:126)
        at org.apache.ajp.Ajp13.send(Ajp13.java:525)
        at org.apache.ajp.RequestHandler.finish(RequestHandler.java:495)
        at org.apache.ajp.Ajp13.finish(Ajp13.java:395)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Response.finishResponse(Ajp13Response.java:196)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:464)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:551)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

2002-12-09 13:09:21 Ajp13Processor[8009][349] process: invoke
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cookie name path is a reserved token
        at javax.servlet.http.Cookie.<init>(Cookie.java:185)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Request.addCookies(Ajp13Request.java:189)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Request.setAjpRequest(Ajp13Request.java:148)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.process(Ajp13Processor.java:446)
        at
org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Processor.run(Ajp13Processor.java:551)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

- When a tomcat instance gets into problems some connections still seem to
work while others emit:

2002-12-09 13:32:25 Ajp13Processor[8009][155] process: invoke
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

problem is that the mod_jk module (in the apache server) sometimes doesn't
notive that a tomcat instance has problems and keeps sending connectuions to
this particular instance , thereby freezing the whole cluster.

----------

Now my question is:

Do you think that upgrading to some other version of  tomcat, mod_jk, apache
...... would solve some of my problems. Any experience with tomcat
load-balancing under high -loads (Currently ~1 million pageviews/day).

Any help would be appreciated?

llap,
julian löffelhardt

-

RE: tomcat,mod_jk & loadbalancing

Posted by Ricky Leung <ri...@booksense.com>.
> mod_jk 1.2.0 indeed does contain the socket_timeout &
> cache_timeout settings
> (I dont't know if they work, though)

I couldn't see it in the source code of 1.2.0 but I could be wrong about
that.

> This version doesn't seem to have any timeout options.
> Documentation says mod_jk is independent of tomcat version, so I guess I
> could just update the Apache/mod_jk part of my system. Is this assumption
> correct????

yes, this is the idea.
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/release/v1.2.1
/

> I wouldn't want to switch to another tomcat, because chnages like
> this tend
> to create countless problems in regard to source compatibility.

There have been bugfixes with 4.0.2 so I would suggest installing
and testing with 4.0.6.  With this minor upgrade, you should see
very little change in comparison to 4.1.x.

Ricky

Re: tomcat,mod_jk & loadbalancing

Posted by Julian Löffelhardt <ju...@austria.fm>.
Hello, once again!

I always thought I'm using mod_jk 1.2.0 sbecause that's displayed in the
server-status..... stupid me.

mod_jk 1.2.0 indeed does contain the socket_timeout & cache_timeout settings
(I dont't know if they work, though)

After downloading several versions of the connector sources and comparing
them to the debug output in mod_jk.log I came to the conclusion that im
using the Connector shipped in "jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.0.2-01".

This version doesn't seem to have any timeout options.
Documentation says mod_jk is independent of tomcat version, so I guess I
could just update the Apache/mod_jk part of my system. Is this assumption
correct????

I wouldn't want to switch to another tomcat, because chnages like this tend
to create countless problems in regard to source compatibility.

Thanks for your help!

llap,
julian

Posted by Julian Löffelhardt <ju...@austria.fm>.
> > - Another idea: We are operating a newspaper website, and
> > offering our users
> > to log into our system to get additional services.
> > Of course most people won't log in because they just want to read
> > the news.
>
> Depending on how you code your application you will configure accordingly.
> Are you using encodeURL()?  If not, your users are probably bouncing
around
> with each click even when they are not logged in.  In my opinion, you
should
> really maintain a session for each user whether they login or not.  This
> way, they won't be connecting to a new Tomcat thread with each click.  You
> can set the default session to expire in 3 mins or some other short time
in
> web.xml.  Then for those who logins, the web application expires in much
> longer period.  There were just posts covering this topic.  This should
> decrease your Tomcat threads.

We maintain our sessions using cookies.
Using some web stress tools, I also found out that the loadbalancer
sometimes has problems working small scale. it's not uncommon that it will
route 10-20 sequential requests (without sessionid) to the samr tomcat
instance. These requests then remain bound to this tomcat due to the sticky
session functionality (which is good).
I just hoped the load-balancer would distribute the requests more evenly
when most of the requests don't have a sessionid and thus aren't bound to a
specific tomcat instance.

llap,
julian

RE: tomcat,mod_jk & loadbalancing

Posted by Ricky Leung <ri...@booksense.com>.
> - if 1.2.0 doesn't use socket_timeout could I use cache_timeout ?

I think this is best used with web servers with threading models.  If you
are using apache2.x, then yes, use it, but if you are using apache1.3.x,
then this doesn't help.

> Could you give me an entry point to the mod_jk sources?

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/release/v1.2.1
/

click on the src link.

Posted by Ricky Leung <ri...@booksense.com>.