Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> on 2006/02/07 18:36:28 UTC

Re: Status of sorted order patches

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 10:12:11PM +0000, Julian Foad wrote:
> Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >So whatever happened to the sorted order patches that were posted back
> >in November.
> >
> >I searched the ml archives, but the last thing i see is
> >

> >1. Branko saying he thinks the output of all things should be sorted.
> >
> >2. Julian saying he had patches to do that that he would update and
> >post.  I can't seem to find that post.
>
> I haven't got around to doing that yet.

Julian, for the reasons Daniel mentions, I think we should at least make
the output of 'svn diff' sorted in the 1.4.x timeframe.  The original
patches that were posted looked fine to me (the diff subset, that is),
and I was thinking of committing them alone, but I'll hold off if you've
got something that handles everything at once.

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Status of sorted order patches

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:09:27PM +0000, Julian Foad wrote:
> > The original
> >patches that were posted looked fine to me (the diff subset, that is),
>
> The original patches?  You mean mine
> <http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-06/0000.shtml> ?  Or Kean Johnston's
> more recent patch for "svn diff"
> <http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-11/1033.shtml> ?  Or something else?

I was thinking of Kean's patches - I've not been following long enough
to have seen your patches, so thanks for the pointer.

But realistically, neither set is likely to apply cleanly now, so I was
planning to use them as a basis, rather than just commit them straight.

> I've just been having a go at updating my patch, but haven't really got it
> ready for use, and it wasn't a small change that handles everything at
> once, it was a set of additions just like what Kean did, so I'd suggest
> starting from his patch.

Ok, I'll take a look and see what comes up.  (That said, if you do get
your patches in shape, don't wait for me).

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Status of sorted order patches

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Julian, for the reasons Daniel mentions, I think we should at least make
> the output of 'svn diff' sorted in the 1.4.x timeframe.

+1.  I think we really want this and just need to start doing it.

>  The original
> patches that were posted looked fine to me (the diff subset, that is),

The original patches?  You mean mine
<http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-06/0000.shtml> ?  Or Kean Johnston's more
recent patch for "svn diff" <http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-11/1033.shtml>
?  Or something else?

The last posted version of mine didn't correctly sort diffs that contacted the
repository, only local diffs.

Kean's patch sorted local and repos-to-repos diffs fully, and repos-to-wc diffs
partially.

> and I was thinking of committing them alone, but I'll hold off if you've
> got something that handles everything at once.

I've just been having a go at updating my patch, but haven't really got it
ready for use, and it wasn't a small change that handles everything at once, it
was a set of additions just like what Kean did, so I'd suggest starting from
his patch.

- Julian