Posted to netcat@netbeans.apache.org by Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com> on 2021/02/18 09:12:40 UTC

Re: [External] : Re: [BETA] VSCode ext Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing

Hi,

> On 17 Feb 2021, at 14:55, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 12:18, Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com> wrote:
>> As a follow up on Beta 3 build of NetBeans 12.3 I would like to also start Beta voting on VSCode NetBeans extension.
>
> Thanks Martin.  Assuming you mean beta testing there! :-)
Yes, I mean testing.

>> Sources are in main NetBeans 12.3 Beta 3 sources announced by Geertjan as well as schedule.
>
> Speaking of voting though, could you also explain here the steps to
> get from the source zip bundle to a compiled vsix file?  Or a link to
> that information?
It is here https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/java/java.lsp.server/vscode/BUILD.md
Martin

Posted by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hello Neil, Martin.

Dne čtvrtek 18. února 2021 11:03:03 CET, Neil C Smith napsal(a):
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 09:12, Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > > Speaking of voting though, could you also explain here the steps to
> > > get from the source zip bundle to a compiled vsix file?  Or a link to
> > > that information?

> > It is here
> > https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/java/java.lsp.server/vscod
> > e/BUILD.md
> Thanks.
>
> OK, so trying against the source zip bundle fails with if
> -D3rdparty.modules=.*nbjavac.* is added.  Not sure if that's just a
> local issue - seems the move to Maven distribution that just landed
> might be affecting that?

Right. The switch to download of nbjavac from Maven central broke this
instruction. It wasn't detected, as the `travis.yml` check and neither the
build on Jenkins are downloading the nbjavac.

> Of course, that's not an option used on the build server anyway, which
> is what we should add in the binary vote thread when we get to that
> point.

My previous voting emails contained the instructions to build:
```bash
netbeans$ ant build
netbeans$ ant -f java/java.lsp.server/ build-vscode-ext
```
which is different to the `BUILD.md` one and also incorrect with respect to the
vsix version...

> Be good to document the build environment requirements there too  -
> eg. ant, but also npm, and mvn, and ??? on the path?

Yeah, that'd be good.

> Ideally we wouldn't be using build number in vsix.version, but I think
> that's easy to document what parameter was passed for now.

Ideally the build number will be derived from the NetBeans release properties
once!

> The key thing is the steps people need to follow to get from the
> source zip to (as close as possible) the released binary.

I see, so the step should be:

```bash
netbeans$ ant build
netbeans$ ant -f java/java.lsp.server/ build-vscode-ext -Dvsix.version=12.3.0
```

Thanks for pointing that out! We mention it in another voting email.
-jt

Re: [External] : Re: [BETA] VSCode ext Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 09:12, Martin Balin <ma...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Speaking of voting though, could you also explain here the steps to
> > get from the source zip bundle to a compiled vsix file?  Or a link to
> > that information?
> It is here https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/java/java.lsp.server/vscode/BUILD.md

Thanks.

OK, so trying against the source zip bundle fails with if
-D3rdparty.modules=.*nbjavac.* is added.  Not sure if that's just a
local issue - seems the move to Maven distribution that just landed
might be affecting that?

Of course, that's not an option used on the build server anyway, which
is what we should add in the binary vote thread when we get to that
point.

Be good to document the build environment requirements there too  -
eg. ant, but also npm, and mvn, and ??? on the path?

Ideally we wouldn't be using build number in vsix.version, but I think
that's easy to document what parameter was passed for now.

The key thing is the steps people need to follow to get from the
source zip to (as close as possible) the released binary.

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: [External] : Re: [BETA] VSCode ext Apache NetBeans 12.3-beta3 available for testing

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.