Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/29 13:25:29 UTC

NetBeans and the Octopus

What's all this, then?

https://securitylab.github.com/research/octopus-scanner-malware-open-source-supply-chain

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)

Re: NetBeans and the Octopus

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-warns-java-developers-of-new-malware-poisoning-netbeans-projects/

Re: NetBeans and the Octopus

Posted by Jesse Glick <ty...@gmail.com>.
A further note:

Re: NetBeans and the Octopus

Posted by Jesse Glick <ty...@gmail.com>.
Was just reading this myself. Seems to be specific to managed
Ant-based projects, not (say) Maven or Gradle or freeform Ant. As far
as I can tell, NetBeans itself is not at fault, this is just a virus
that infects a type of build system, pretty much all of which presume
that the build is running in the user’s process namespace and thus
that all build scripts are trusted. Some more modern build could use
containers to sandbox build steps I suppose; typically this is done
for CI systems and not for developer environments (pending things like
GitPod and GitHub’s new in-browser IDE becoming more widespread).