Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ravi Hegde <su...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/20 14:34:22 UTC

Xdoclet web module classpath

I was using xdoclet:webdoclet goal by adding the
following dependency to my project.xml.

    <dependency>
      <groupId>xdoclet</groupId>
      <artifactId>xdoclet-web-module</artifactId>
      <version>1.2</version>
      <url>http://xdoclet.sf.net/</url>
    </dependency>

To avoid adding this dependency to each of my
projects, I tried to add this dependency in the
project.xml of xdoclet plug-in. It is not working - I
get the error

taskdef class xdoclet.modules.web.WebDocletTask cannot
be found

But, printing the plugin dependency classpath before
the xdoclet:webdoclet goal by using a preGoal as shown
below prints xdoclet-web-module-1.2.jar with proper
path.

	<preGoal name="xdoclet:webdoclet">
	    <echo message="***>> Dependency classpath =
${plugin.getDependencyClasspath()}"/>
	</preGoal>

Does that mean xdoclet-web-module-1.2.jar is in
plug-in's classpath and still the taskdef does not
find it ? Any clue(s) will be of great help.

RE: Xdoclet web module classpath

Posted by Charles Daniels <cj...@yahoo.com>.
If you look at the webdoclet taskdef in the xdoclet plugin's
plugin.jelly file, you will find the following:

<taskdef name="webdoclet" classname="xdoclet.modules.web.WebDocletTask">
  <classpath>
    <path refid="maven.dependency.classpath"/>
    <pathelement path="${plugin.getDependencyPath('xdoclet:xdoclet')}"/>
    <pathelement
path="${plugin.getDependencyPath('xdoclet:xjavadoc')}"/>
    <pathelement
path="${plugin.getDependencyPath('xdoclet:xdoclet-xdoclet-module')}"/>
    <pathelement
path="${plugin.getDependencyPath('commons-collections:commons-collection
s')}"/>
    <pathelement
path="${plugin.getDependencyPath('commons-logging:commons-logging')}"/>
    <pathelement path="${plugin.getDependencyPath('log4j:log4j')}"/>
  </classpath>
</taskdef>

Because of the way the classpath is formed, you must include the
xdoclet-web-module dependency in your own project.xml file because
maven.dependency.classpath includes only those dependencies from your
project.xml, not any of the dependencies from the plugin's project.xml.
Dependencies from the plugin are included (as you can see above) by
using plugin.getDependencyPath(dependency).  Notice that there is no
explicit reference to the xdoclet:webdoclet dependency, which is why you
must include it in your own project.xml.  Seems odd to me that the
xdoclet:webdoclet dependency is not explicit, which would eliminate the
need for you to specify it in your own project.xml.  Oh well.