Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM> on 2006/04/15 01:01:25 UTC

[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Invitation to Participate in Summer of Code 2006]]

Sorry, didn't notice this was only to derby-user...

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Invitation to Participate in Summer of Code 2006]]

Posted by Legolas Woodland <le...@gmail.com>.
It is very interesting indeed.
How i can become member for  a project in this summer code , i mean
project that involve derby within it.

Thanks

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> David W. Van Couvering wrote:
>
>>So, we had a chat about this on IRC, and the general feeling with Andrew
>>and Jean is that we should be under the umbrella of ASF an not our own
>>separate project.
>
> Isn't that Google's decision?

No, I think it's Derby's decision as the project. I would prefer to be
part of the ASF effort.

>>It sounds like last year ASF arranged it with all the projects within
>>ASF and there was a collaborative set of projects.  I understand this
>>makes sense, but I feel kind of bummed, now we have to compete for
>>attention from all the other ASF projects, it was kind of nice being top

I don't think there will be competition that would preclude Derby
projects or participation -- how many java databases are there at apache?

 -jean

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> Dan, you make excellent points.  Andrew and Jean also give excellent
> points, but for some reason I am excited by your points, while Andrew
> and Jean's points make me feel somewhat sad and dutiful :)

What makes you feel sad and dutiful?

I don't understand how Derby's participation and the projects that would
be embarked upon would differ whether Derby is at the top level or
within the ASF.

Since the ASF has already initialized a spot at code.google.com/soc ,
and since you have energy, I bet the ASF organizers would be absolutely
delighted for you to dive in and help coordinate.

> I will hold off doing anything until we get this resolved.  I personally
> agree that this is Google's decision.

I think the Derby project should be able to have a say in this.

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>> David W. Van Couvering wrote:
>>> But I totally it would look bad and unfair for us to be at the
>>> top and nobody else from ASF.  So I'll work on this.
>>
>> Not sure what's bad or unfair about it, the Derby project was just more
>> pro-active (through David VC) in dealing with Google.
>>
>> Dan.

I don't think there's anything "bad" or "unfair" about Derby being at
the top level. I just think it looks odd -- it makes Derby look somehow
isolated from the ASF instead of part of the community.

 -jean

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: Invitation to Participate in Summer of Code 2006]]

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:

> So, we had a chat about this on IRC, and the general feeling with Andrew
> and Jean is that we should be under the umbrella of ASF an not our own
> separate project.

Isn't that Google's decision?