Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@msn.com> on 2011/10/04 22:05:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Using the ooo-users list, FAQ, etc.

I think a monthly FAQ on the policies for this list would be useful.

As one of the three moderators of this list, I just received the
first-seen moderation-request for an honest-to-goodness spam of
the Nigerian money-laundering scam sort.

Most of the moderation requests that the list robot sends to my
inbox are for unsubscribed or not-yet-subscribed posters.  There
is a way to let the post through, with the option of enabling all
future posts as well, but it doesn't grant a subscription.  That
takes the usual ritual.  No one is subscribed automatically.  Sometimes
moderation can take several hours depending on when moderators are
awake and reading their mail.  (Reading mail while asleep is discouraged.)
I give moderation requests first-priority in my inbox.

I suppose the FAQ could talk about that.

The FAQ should point out that all posts are archived and as a matter
of policy, posts are not deleted and I am not sure a moderator can do it.
The FAQ could point out about access via GMane too.

Likewise, banning users is not taken lightly (or done easily).  Unless
an user turns into a spam source or goes off into some sort of
off-topic-for-everything-at-all message-strafing attack (and serious
offensive speech after cautioning), the idea is for list users to work
out controversies among themselves and clean up our own street.

Any more thoughts about what a FAQ should contain beside basic logistics
and what the scope of subject-matter for the list is?

As for etiquette, I would go so far as to link to a nice treatment
provided by Italo Vignoli at <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette>,
with minimal patches with regard to difference in subject matter and
other details that apply to this list.

 - Dennis

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@msn.com>.
There was some question about what moderators can do and how to request
banning of an offensive troll, for example.  There have been no awful cases
here.  I saw some on another list around the same time as my October 4 note.

So a little less detail, but indicating what happens with moderation and why
delays may be experienced, does seem in order.  And of course, the policy
about trolls, violation of the terms of use (if there were any) might be in
the administrivia post somewhere.  Also, that once a post is successfully
posted, it can't be retracted or deleted (evidently).

 - Dennis

> I think a monthly FAQ on the policies for this list would be useful.

Like an automated "administrivia" post?

> As one of the three moderators of this list, I just received the
> first-seen moderation-request for an honest-to-goodness spam of
> the Nigerian money-laundering scam sort.
>
> Most of the moderation requests that the list robot sends to my
> inbox are for unsubscribed or not-yet-subscribed posters.  There

Most of what I see are posts by users who are subscribed, but are
sending from a different email address than their normal one.

> is a way to let the post through, with the option of enabling all
> future posts as well, but it doesn't grant a subscription.  That
> takes the usual ritual.  No one is subscribed automatically.  Sometimes
> moderation can take several hours depending on when moderators are
> awake and reading their mail.  (Reading mail while asleep is discouraged.)
> I give moderation requests first-priority in my inbox.

I do the same.

> I suppose the FAQ could talk about that.

Is that really a question that users are asking?  And frequently?  But
it might be a good FAQ "How to Moderate" for the PPMC FAQ section of
the website.

[ ... ]

Re: [DISCUSS] Using the ooo-users list, FAQ, etc.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <or...@msn.com> wrote:
> I think a monthly FAQ on the policies for this list would be useful.

Like an automated "administrivia" post?

> As one of the three moderators of this list, I just received the
> first-seen moderation-request for an honest-to-goodness spam of
> the Nigerian money-laundering scam sort.
>
> Most of the moderation requests that the list robot sends to my
> inbox are for unsubscribed or not-yet-subscribed posters.  There

Most of what I see are posts by users who are subscribed, but are
sending from a different email address than their normal one.

> is a way to let the post through, with the option of enabling all
> future posts as well, but it doesn't grant a subscription.  That
> takes the usual ritual.  No one is subscribed automatically.  Sometimes
> moderation can take several hours depending on when moderators are
> awake and reading their mail.  (Reading mail while asleep is discouraged.)
> I give moderation requests first-priority in my inbox.

I do the same.

> I suppose the FAQ could talk about that.

Is that really a question that users are asking?  And frequently?  But
it might be a good FAQ "How to Moderate" for the PPMC FAQ section of
the website.

> The FAQ should point out that all posts are archived and as a matter
> of policy, posts are not deleted and I am not sure a moderator can do it.
> The FAQ could point out about access via GMane too.

These are good things.  Maybe just a webpage/markdown on mailing lists
in general.  We have the start of one already:

It could easily be expanded.  We could then link to it in a monthly
administrivia post.  In particular, some of the info (like using GMane
or the archives) should be easy findable without needing to subscribe
to the list.

> Likewise, banning users is not taken lightly (or done easily).  Unless
> an user turns into a spam source or goes off into some sort of
> off-topic-for-everything-at-all message-strafing attack (and serious
> offensive speech after cautioning), the idea is for list users to work
> out controversies among themselves and clean up our own street.
>
> Any more thoughts about what a FAQ should contain beside basic logistics
> and what the scope of subject-matter for the list is?

I've only seen one question that I'd consider "frequent" and that is
how to unsubscribe.  But I don't think there is much we can do to make
that not be the most-asked question.

> As for etiquette, I would go so far as to link to a nice treatment
> provided by Italo Vignoli at <http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette>,
> with minimal patches with regard to difference in subject matter and
> other details that apply to this list.

Also worth looking at the Apache mailing list guidelines:

http://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html