Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org> on 2009/12/16 16:55:49 UTC

OT: Weird characters in Pine

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, John Hardin wrote:
> I generally use PINE....
>
> {researches a bit} Hmmm. It only appears to happen when non-ASCII
> characters are in the message I'm replying to.

OT: Seeing how you seem to have some passing acquaintance with ASCII
character set issues, I thought I would ask if you are familiar with
whatever 'character' problem causes me to see a pair of displayed
characters that look like the graphic box 'T' character, followed by the
letter 'a', at various places in my e-mail when I use Pine via this simple
'telnet' client on Vista?

I know it has something to do with my 'terminal type' settings, because
I don't get this problem in my Win98 'Hyperterminal'. But it only occurs
in mails that come (you guessed it) from certain Outhouse mail clients.
Is there a character sequence that I could possibly 'translate' out of the
e-mail before I view it in telnet?

- Charles

Re: OT: Weird characters in Pine

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 10:55 -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, John Hardin wrote:
> > I generally use PINE....
> >
> > {researches a bit} Hmmm. It only appears to happen when non-ASCII
> > characters are in the message I'm replying to.
>
> OT: Seeing how you seem to have some passing acquaintance with ASCII
> character set issues, I thought I would ask if you are familiar with
> whatever 'character' problem causes me to see a pair of displayed
> characters that look like the graphic box 'T' character, followed by the
> letter 'a', at various places in my e-mail when I use Pine via this simple
> 'telnet' client on Vista?
>
> I know it has something to do with my 'terminal type' settings, because
> I don't get this problem in my Win98 'Hyperterminal'. But it only occurs
> in mails that come (you guessed it) from certain Outhouse mail clients.
> Is there a character sequence that I could possibly 'translate' out of the
> e-mail before I view it in telnet?

Its beem a while since I've used a MS OS, but it might have something to
do with Win98 using the old DOS codepages while Vista does something
completely different by default. A poke round 'terminal type' settings
looking for Win 98/DOS codepage emulation or asking on the relevant
forum(s) may be useful.

Martin