Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Paul Lindner <pl...@linkedin.com> on 2010/05/13 01:37:48 UTC

Architecture changes to support shindig 'plugins'

With my latest multibindings patch we're very close to being able to write
shindig plugins.

These are modules that can do the following:
  register new API endpoints
  add tag handlers.
  add resources(js etal) to the features registry.

The first two are taken care of.  If we change the feature registry to
accept a Set<String> of feature paths then we can get number three.  This
allows

To use a shindig plugin all you then need to do is put the jar in your
classpath and add the guice module to your web.xml

I'm also looking at using this technique which might make it even easier:

http://binkley.blogspot.com/2010/04/guicing-your-jars.html

I think this will help us get to the point where people can write extensions
without having to modify the base shindig code.

WDYT?