Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Bobby Warner <bo...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/07 22:56:19 UTC

WSS4J and WSE

We are trying to consume a XFire web service using WSS4J with a .NET client
using WSE 2.0 and are facing an issue.  WSS4J expects that the
BinarySecurityToken tag will be the first one in the header, but WSE puts
the Timestamp in first.

There was a proposed change that would fix this issue posted to the XFire
mailing list, but was closed because it's not an XFire issue, but rather
WSS4J.  Here is a link to that discussion:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/XFIRE-752?page=all

Was this issue ever discussed on the WSS4J mailing list?  If so, why was the
change not implemented?  Please let me know.

Thanks,
Bobby

Re: WSS4J and WSE

Posted by Fred Dushin <fr...@dushin.net>.
This is an excellent point, as I've run into exactly the same issue
testing interop between CXF (a descendent of XFire) and WCF.

I agree that the ordering constraint in WSS4J is misguided; I have a
hunce that the intention is to enforce that, say, a message is signed
before it's encrypted, but the implementation is thrown off be other
elements in the headers.  But I'm guessing as to the author's actual
intentions.

There is a ticket for this item in the Apache JIRA:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-70

-Fred