Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Raj Sharma <sg...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/04 01:08:03 UTC

James setup - Email clients/servers

Hi,

PS: I am sending this mail to both dev and user
aliases as I feel the answers related to configuration
or code changes in James.

I have downloaded the latest source version of James
and it compiles fine. I don�t have admin privileges on
my machine, hence I had to change the config of James
so that its SMTP server runs on a different port,
other than 25. With this, the problem is I cannot use
popular email clients like Outlook or Eudora to
communicate with James. Can someone shed light on the
following points:

1) Since I cannot run James SMTP on port 25, can
someone suggest an email client which connects to a
mail server on a configurable port, say 2025. I use
Eudora but it does not allow to change the SMTP port
number

2) I cannot receive mails from outside, since my
machine is not on the Internet. But I want to run two
instances of James on my machine and exchange mails
between them by connecting to them on different ports
using mail clients. Is this possible? Has someone done
a similar thing?

Please advice,

Thanks,
Raj.

Re: Shutting down James

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
the recommended method is to telnet and sign on to the remote manager then
issue the 'shutdown' command. I'm using XP and sometimes get lazy and just
issue a ctrl+c to kill the process but 2 times out of 10 I end up having to
issue a ctrl+alt+del to kill the process with the task manager because it
locks up.

Go with what's recommended by the folks that know best......'shutdown' via
the remote manager.

RE: Shutting down James

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
Another way is to install James as a service and the just start & stop
the service using the control panel.

To install James as a service just go to the James/bin directory and
run:
wrapper -i ..\conf\wrapper.conf

However, you don't see much when its running, but the log files are
pretty good anyway.

-- Jason

Shutting down James

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
Hi,

Re: James setup - Email clients/servers

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
> I have downloaded the latest source version of James
> and it compiles fine. I don't have admin privileges on
> my machine, hence I had to change the config of James
> so that its SMTP server runs on a different port,
> other than 25. With this, the problem is I cannot use
> popular email clients like Outlook or Eudora to
> communicate with James. Can someone shed light on the
> following points:
>
> 1) Since I cannot run James SMTP on port 25, can
> someone suggest an email client which connects to a
> mail server on a configurable port, say 2025. I use
> Eudora but it does not allow to change the SMTP port
> number

At least outlook express allows you to connect to different ports. It should
be possible to do it with other clients by changing smtp server properties.
Port 25 may be in registry or at worst  binary.

You may also want to look at port forwarding. SSH does it nicely. Search for
'ssh port forwarding'. It allows traffic on either client side or server
side to be forwarded to port of choice.

> 2) I cannot receive mails from outside, since my
> machine is not on the Internet. But I want to run two
> instances of James on my machine and exchange mails
> between them by connecting to them on different ports
> using mail clients. Is this possible? Has someone done
> a similar thing?

Possibly fetch pop / fetch mail service in James could help you out. It is a
mail client embedded in James.
Ref: http://james.apache.org/fetchpop_configuration_2_1.html

hope it helps.
Harmeet