Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Venkatesh <vr...@aol.com> on 2011/03/29 23:27:25 UTC

Export/Import and # of regions

 Hi,
If I export existing table using Export MR job, truncate the table, increase region size, & do a Import
will it make use of the new region size?

thanks

Re: Export/Import and # of regions

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
>  Thanks J-D..Using 0.20.6..I don't see that method with pre-split in 0.20.6 API spec

It's new from 0.89, please consider upgrading.

> 1) Will the data still be accessible if I Import the data to a new table? (purely for backup reasons)
> I tried on small data set..I could..
> Before I do export/Import on large table, want to make sure..

It's indeed a way to backup a table
http://blog.sematext.com/2011/03/11/hbase-backup-options/

> 2) Data exported using 0.20.6, can it be imported using 0.90.1? (i could use pre-split in this case)

Yes.

J-D

Re: Export/Import and # of regions

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.