Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by sub3 <st...@subwest.com> on 2008/08/11 23:08:05 UTC

Under IO Load

I have a system where 1 is sending to several (a & b) and occasionally b
sends to c (all queues).  Very simple.  Persistence is set to false.  Queue
sizes are capped at 50mb.

If I put the system under a heavy i/o load (several programs reading/writing
lots of files), ActiveMQ will stop.

Am I hitting some system resource issue here, and if so, what is it?  Also,
is there a way to get ActiveMQ to recover?

I've attached my activemq.xml file, and a sample program to create i/o load
(sometime I run several of these).  I am running on Windows Server 2003.

Thanks.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18933907/activemq.xml activemq.xml
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18933907/Test.java Test.java

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by sub3 <st...@subwest.com>.
After pouring through more debug, this one seems to come up occasionally:

2008-08-13 12:26:50,144 [InactivityMonitor Async Task:
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker@1e6ba8ee] DEBUG
org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection - Async exception with no exception
listener: org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityIOException: Channel was
inactive for too long: localhost/127.0.0.1:61616

Could this be causing an issue, possibly timing something out?

Thanks.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by sub3 <st...@subwest.com>.
Software installed on C:
Heavy I/O is happening on E:

C: is 10k 74gb drive
E: is 2 15k 750gb drives, raid 0
It is an HP server, w/2 xeon cpus. I don't remember the speed, but it is
about a year old.
It is running Windows 2003 server w/ over 8 gigs of ram.  We never have a
memory problem.

Hope that helps.   Thanks.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by sub3 <st...@subwest.com>.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by sub3 <st...@subwest.com>.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by Mark Webb <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by sub3 <st...@subwest.com>.

bsnyder wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 3:08 PM, sub3 <st...@subwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have a system where 1 is sending to several (a & b) and occasionally b
>> sends to c (all queues).  Very simple.  Persistence is set to false.
>> Queue
>> sizes are capped at 50mb.
>>
>> If I put the system under a heavy i/o load (several programs
>> reading/writing
>> lots of files), ActiveMQ will stop.
>>
>> Am I hitting some system resource issue here, and if so, what is it?
>> Also,
>> is there a way to get ActiveMQ to recover?
>>
>> I've attached my activemq.xml file, and a sample program to create i/o
>> load
>> (sometime I run several of these).  I am running on Windows Server 2003.
>
> What happens with ActiveMQ under the same messaging load if you do not
> run the Test.java class in other JVMs?
>
> Bruce
> --
> perl -e 'print
> );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

If I don't run Test.java, the system remains up & stable.  I've run it for
over a week as fast as possible w/o any problems.

Re: Under IO Load

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/