Posted to commits@subversion.apache.org by Apache subversion Wiki <co...@subversion.apache.org> on 2013/06/14 06:12:52 UTC

[Subversion Wiki] Update of "MoveDev/MoveDev" by brane

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Subversion Wiki" for change notification.

The "MoveDev/MoveDev" page has been changed by brane:
https://wiki.apache.org/subversion/MoveDev/MoveDev?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

  '''gstein sez''': It '''does''' have support for moves. Not "supposed to". It is better tested/known then any hack you may want to add into `svn_delta_editor_t`. Note that the delta editor structure is bare to the world. You cannot really extend that vtable. The Ev2 editor solves that problem. To put it blunkly/frankly, you're talking about reinventing the wheel that has already been done in Ev2. It is nothing short of ridiculous to start over again. Not to mention a ton of completed work on converting pieces of the codebase over to Ev2. I would turn it around: show why Ev2 isn't sufficient, rather than starting over again from the delta editor. We also have working shims for converting between delta_editor and Ev2, to help with the transition. This pseudo-move-delta has zero support, zero testing, zero review. The Ev2 design was crafted with the understanding of problems with the delta_editor interface. It solves them, and moves the codebase away from that crap. Piling more onto delta_editor makes it worse.

+ '''brane notes''': We're kind of aware of all that. The problem right now is that the only two people who actually know anything about EV2 aren't very active on the project. I'm hoping this will change (hint hint!), in which case I don't think we'd be considering hacking the delta editor at all.
+
  ==== Adding a 'move' operation (and negotiate the use of it) ====
  Introduce a 'move' method in the vtable.