Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Arturas Mazeika <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/23 07:55:35 UTC

versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Hi Solr-Team,

If I google for specific features for solr, I usually get redirected to 6.6
version of the documentation, like this one:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/overview-of-documents-fields-and-schema-design.html

Since I am playing with 7.2 version of solr, I almost always need to change
this manually through to:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_2/overview-of-documents-fields-and-schema-design.html

(by clicking on the url, going to the number, and replacing two
characters). This is somewhat cumbersome (especially after the first dozen
of changes in urls. Suggestion:

(1) Would it make sense to include other versions of the document as urls
on the page? See, e.g., the following documentation of postgres, where each
page has a pointer to the same page in different versions:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-createtable.html

(especially "This page in other versions: 9.3
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/sql-createtable.html> / 9.4
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-createtable.html> / 9.5
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-createtable.html> / *9.6* /
current
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html> (10
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtable.html>)" line on
the page)

(2) Would it make sense in addition to include "current", pointing to the
latest current release?

This would help to find solr relevant infos from search engines faster.

Cheers,
Arturas

Re: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I also noticed that there's the concept of "latest" (similar to "current"
: in postgres documentation) in solr. This is pretty cool. I am afraid
: though, that this currently is somewhat confusing. E.g., if I search for
: managed schema in google I get this as 1st url:
:
: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html
:
: now if I try to replace 6_6 with latest:

i'm not sure where you got the impression that *replacing* a version
number with "/latest" in the URL was designed to work ... the redirects
are setup so that if you *remove* the version number, the rest of the path
will redirect to the current version.

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: versions of documentation: suggestion for improvement

Posted by Arturas Mazeika <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hoss et al,

Thanks for the prompt answer and the links. I see there's quite some
interesting discussions around the issue already. Let me take some time to
get into details.

I also noticed that there's the concept of "latest" (similar to "current"
in postgres documentation) in solr. This is pretty cool. I am afraid
though, that this currently is somewhat confusing. E.g., if I search for
managed schema in google I get this as 1st url:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

now if I try to replace 6_6 with latest:

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/latest/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

I am redirected to

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_3/latest/schema-factory-definition-in-solrconfig.html

(with "latest" in the url, which, of course, does not exist).

But let me meditate on this a bit.

@Erik: good point w.r.t PDF :-)

Cheers,
Arturas

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
One thing I do is download the complete ref guide as a PDF file.The
"Other formats">>"Archived PDFs" will let you download them.

Then I can search just within that PDF. This has plusses and minuses,
but I thought I'd mention it.

Best,
Erick