Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/18 13:18:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] moving from jira to github issues?

Hi,

some weeks ago, a thread on users@infra.a.o highlighted the benefits of
moving from jira to github issues, based on Apache Airflow
experience, which has been summarized here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=191332632

I've been mulling it since then and I've been thinking more and more that
it would be convenient for us as well, we don't
have too much movement these days, but the former links depicts some PITAs
that, at least for me, JIRA brings:
dual-logging, integration, overall experience.. At least, I'd say I find it
cumbersome.

The same article depicts how at Apache Airflow are using github issues, and
I've to say it's very appealling, just look at
https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/new/choose and see how the
different templates are set up. I personally do like
a lot how the security vulnerability reports are managed, as opposed on how
are they tracked on JIRA.

More importantly, the big selling point (for me) for this migration would
not be having "better" issue management, but that
I think it would help a lot increasing / recruiting contributions.

This thread is not to decide if would should move, but rather to see what
would be the main feeling about this, and, if positive,
what would be the preferred approach on issues' migration (f.ex., I was
thinking on coding a bulk migration, but the "crowd-source"
approach described on the aforementioned link is one that being more fond
of each day).

So, WDYT?

cheers,
juan pablo

Re: [DISCUSS] moving from jira to github issues?

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

any more opinions on this? I'd like to move forward with it, but not if
there isn't anybody else who thinks this would be interesting..
It's just that, with last push, between solving, closing and being a
watcher on some of the issues I've received ~20 e-mails that
won't go anywhere, as I also received the same information through GH PRs
mails anyway..

cheers,
juan pablo

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.