Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Miroslav Zubcic <mv...@crol.net> on 2001/12/08 19:24:55 UTC

SSL/https in svn client

Hi people.

I'm looking and testing your great project couple of months, testing
milestones and building on Linux ...

I will like to use subversion for couple of developers who are behind
some restricted firewall but luckily they have http and https open, so
subversion is obvious answer.

However there is one problem, I can build on Linux neon library with
libssl and svn will recognize https URL schema. But, people from
outside that will use svn are using... windoze, and svn client from
subversion site (M7) doesn't have https URL scheme built in.

Where (or how) can I get vindoze client for them with https built in?
(Binary if possible).

--
This signature intentionally left blank

Re: SSL/https in svn client

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 02:55:22AM +0100, Branko ?ibej wrote:
> Miroslav Zubcic wrote:

[snip]
> >Where (or how) can I get vindoze client for them with https
> >built in?  (Binary if possible).
> >
> You'll have to build it yourself. What you have to do is build
> and install OpenSSL on Windows, then rebuild neon with SSL
> support (it's trivial, but be warned that the Win build
> scripts that come with neon aren't up to date), then rebuild
> Subversion with the SSL-enabled neon.
[snip]

Or you might be able to use stunnel for Windows and use the
non-SSL svn client over stunnel.

http://www.stunnel.org/download/binaries.html

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: SSL/https in svn client

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 07:05:36PM -0600, Barry Pederson wrote:
> Whether it actually works or not, I'm not sure - is there a SVN
> repository available somewhere for testing with an https: URL?

svn.collab.net does not have SSL enabled(*). Maybe somebody else does?

Cheers,
-g

(*) it isn't needed for our development, so I'd rather leave it out for
stability purposes. mod_ssl on Apache 2.0 isn't as robust as the version for
Apache 1.3.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: SSL/https in svn client

Posted by Barry Pederson <ba...@yahoo.com>.
Daniel Stenberg wrote:

 > On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Barry Pederson wrote:
 >

 >>Whether it actually works or not, I'm not sure - is there a SVN
 >>repository available somewhere for testing with an https: URL?
 >>

 > One option would be to get stunnel and run that as a transparant
frontend for
 > the normal HTTP respository. At least that would enable you to try
out the
 > HTTPS parts.

I thought of that - didn't work last night, got some error about DAV and
the URL, but it's working tonight *shrug*.

So yeah, that seems to be a way to test SVN/SSL without anybody having
to fool with mod_ssl.

	Barry

Re: SSL/https in svn client

Posted by Daniel Stenberg <da...@haxx.se>.

      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77

Re: SSL/https in svn client

Posted by Barry Pederson <ba...@yahoo.com>.
Miroslav Zubcic wrote:

> Branko �ibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:

>>You'll have to build it yourself. What you have to do is build and
>>install OpenSSL on Windows, then rebuild neon with SSL support (it's
>>trivial, but be warned that the Win build scripts that come with neon
>>aren't up to date), then rebuild Subversion with the SSL-enabled neon.
>>

> Building on windows? Huh... I never tried something like that on
> non-unix system.
>
> Anyway, thanks. I will put cygwin and openssl on some win machine and
> ... try. :-)

I took a stab at this, and it didn't seem too bad.  OpenSSL has scripts
and batch files for building on Win32, including useing VisualC++ - the
only catch is that you have to have Perl to run some config scripts
(ActivePerl worked fine).

Getting neon and svn to use OpenSSL only seems to require changing a
handful of lines in various VisualStudio project files.

Re: SSL/https in svn client

Posted by Miroslav Zubcic <mv...@crol.net>.
Branko �ibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:

[...]