Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com> on 2014/10/17 18:59:46 UTC

[FlexJS] Graphics

Over the past month or so, the FlexJS graphics package (flex.core.graphics) has been added and the FlexJS chart package (flex.charts) has incorporated the graphics package.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this and would SVG be used more efficiently this way?

Regards,
Peter Ent
Adobe Systems

Re: [FlexJS] Graphics

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Over the past month or so, the FlexJS graphics package
> (flex.core.graphics) has been added and the FlexJS chart package
> (flex.charts) has incorporated the graphics package.
>
> The result of using the graphics package is a great deal of <svg> elements
> (on the JavaScript side, of course) get created. For example, if a column
> chart has 100 bars, each bar is a separate <svg>+<rect> combination. If the
> chart has two series, then that would be 200 bars. A line chart could
> easily have a thousand points and an equal number of <svg> elements (for
> the record, a LineChart can have an itemRenderer for each point and a
> single line path to connect them).
>
> I am wondering if there might be a more efficient way to do this. The
> flex.core.graphics package now has a GraphicsContainer which has functions
> to draw rects, circles, paths, etc. This results in a single <svg> with
> different drawing elements. Imagine if a chart were to do this, so that
> there would be one <svg> and a couple hundred <rect> paths.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on this and would SVG be used more
> efficiently this way?

I agree, that seems to be the way to go.  It would be nice to hear other
opinions as well, though.