Posted to dev@river.apache.org by John Sarman <jo...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/22 00:52:51 UTC

Join the DJINN

Fellow Jini Believers,

Ok first I am tired of the 200+ comments on splitting up the space, so I am
creating a new thread  to talk about the great concepts of Jini and some
items I desire.  Before I go off building them, I thought I would just throw
the ideas in the open and maybe this is already completed.

   I think a great entry point for jini newbies would be a Web integration
via IDE plugin.  I would love to choose the Jini core module and Jini Tomcat
integration module with Netbeans.
      After this installed it would automatically allow me to use some
sample howto lookup code to get an instance of the Space, etc..  Then I
could use the space as yet another method to deal with the CRUD.  OR I could
use the transaction manager to perform some transactional functionality of
my web design.  Etc Etc.....
This would definitely open the door to several web developers who use Tomcat
and need a mechanism to do distributed computing with a Web frontend.  Plus
Tomcat is apache, River is apache , so why not!

So maybe others have some ideas on using Jini to ease the newbie experience.
If so reply!!
Lets make this a more productive post by leaving the "why cant Jini be my
way attitude" out and rejuvenating   the good ole days of the Jini community
"Lets build a .... " attitude!

So what do you think would ease the NEWBS?

John Sarman

Re: Join the DJINN

Posted by Michael McGrady <mm...@topiatechnology.com>.
On Dec 21, 2008, at 3:52 PM, John Sarman wrote:

>   I think a great entry point for jini newbies would be a Web
> integration
> via IDE plugin.

I think that the movement in significant networking proposals, which
JavaSpaces and JINI certainly are, is toward fewer people with higher
skills rather than more people with tool help.  The Visual BASIC model
is not gaining ground, in my opinion.  Powerful, clean, best practices
oriented projects, like Spring, for example, immediately attract a
crowd.

JINI newbies who will actually use JINI are not likely in my opinion
to be swayed by peripheral niceties.  Not against these ideas, but
rather just saying they won't fix what is broken.

Perhaps a good start would be to stop talking about solutions and to
identify what the perceived problems/challenges with JINI/RIVEr are.
A great solution to a non-problem is not really a solution at all.
The heuristic "hard things first" comes to mind.

Mike

Re: Join the DJINN

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
John:

	I think you're on to something.  From my experience, hosting services
inside a web container (e.g. Tomcat) is hard because of class loader
issues, but accessing services as a client is easy.  So do you think it
would be useful to create a Netbeans module that knows how to add the
appropriate discovery and lookup configuration to the standard Netbeans
web application?  We would still have to host the services outside
Tomcat (e.g. in a ServiceStarter or Harvester container), but it would
certainly be a quick way to get something like a Javaspace up and
running and accessible to a web application.

I might be looking for something to work on over the Christmas break, if
there's interest.

Cheers,

Greg.

--
Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.com

Re: Join the DJINN

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Jim Hurley <ji...@mac.com> wrote:
> You mentioned IDE plugins so thought I'd point to:
>
> <http://www.incax.com/jini.aspx>
>
> It has both Eclipse and NetBeans plugins.

And IntelliJ IDEA as well...

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Join the DJINN

Posted by John Sarman <jo...@gmail.com>.
I have definitely used the incax almost since its inception.  But alas it is
not apache and not truely open source. Just thinking we may actually
integrate jini into an apache project.  Tomcat is used in Glassfish and why
not create a JINEE for Tomcat.  But a good stepping stone for some would be
a tool that integrated into something they had a good grasp of to add some
new functionality, help them to get their WOW moment!

Thanks Jim for your years of hard work on Jini

John Sarman

Re: Join the DJINN

Posted by Jim Hurley <ji...@mac.com>.
Hi John-