Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/25 23:58:06 UTC

questions about Base---do we need an embedded DB?

Well no doubt this may start a rather heated discussion. I started looking
into the history of the Base component, who is using it now (looked into
Forums, users discussion list), and finally came upon the following FAQ
(edited a LOT just recently):

http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/FAQ_%28Base%29

which seems to indicate (hmmm)--

 "Is Base a database?

Not technically. Base serves several roles within the *Office suite
(AOO<http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html>/
LibO <http://www.libreoffice.org/>), but Base *itself* is strictly an
interface (or front-end<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa141493%28office.10%29.aspx>)
designed to connect to various types of databases, by means of
driver<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Database/Driver_Specifics>files."

...and then

"Base offers to create an *all-in-one 'embedded database' file* similar to
MS Access. In this configuration, the front-end components (queries, forms,
reports and macros) are packaged together with the database files produced
by HSQLDB, all within a single Base (.odb) file. Unfortunately, this
single-file concept has proven unreliable with Base, leading to rampant
data corruption<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162653#p162653>.
So it's best to avoid the 'Create new database' wizard in Base thereby
avoiding 'embedded database' files (perhaps with the exception of
developing prototypes or distributing
examples<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=100>).
Fortunately, Base offers an alternative wizard which produces a robust '
split-database<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa141493%28office.10%29.aspx>'
configuration in which the database (tables and user-data) is stored in a
separate file (or files). Steps for creating a new 'split-database'
utilizing the built-in HSQL database-engine with Base are outlined below."

I don't really know who the author is, but, I too, had been giving this a
great deal of thought. Does a user know what any of this really means, for
example. And, including an embedded DB like HSQL puts added responsibility
for that embedded DB on this project.  What if Base were  strictly  a
front-end?

So, does anyone have any further insights into how many users, if any,
directly use Base to create and use their own individual DBs as opposed to
using the "front-end" capabilities?

MzK

"Achieving happiness requires the right combination of Zen and Zin."

RE: questions about Base---do we need an embedded DB?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
I share Regina's concern for the use in teaching and for casual database purposes.  I'm not so sure how much SQL is a determining factor.

I also sympathize with not wanting a required Java dependency, especially for a built-in component of the suite.

However, the cooperation offered by the HSQLDB team might be an important factor:
<http://hsqldb.org/web/openoffice.html>.

 - Dennis

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu.ac.at>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Am 29.03.2013 19:07, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Reizinger Zoltán <zreizinger@hdsnet.hu
> >wrote:
> >
> >> 2013.03.29. 17:25 keltezéssel, Michael Lam írta:

> http://db.apache.org/derby/****papers/DerbyTut/embedded_****intro.html<
> http://db.apache.org/derby/**papers/DerbyTut/embedded_**intro.html>
> **org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/**embedded_intro.html<
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/embedded_intro.html>>

> http://markmail.org/message/**kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm>
> http://markmail.org/message/kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm>>

> most
> that
> you

> performance

> have
> issue

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/73674/topic/6842122>

> that
> to be
> made
> issue, I
> For
> but I
> >>>

> > Michael -- Great to hear from you again!

> >> the final integration postponed to 3.5 version or later time.
> >> It contains lot of code change.
> >> All code was stored in cws hsqldb19: http://hg.services.openoffice.**
> >> org/hg/cws/hsqldb19/ <
> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/hg/cws/hsqldb19/>
> >> The code transfer to ASF is not clear to me.
> >>
> >> I did the user side QA work, if I have time will help you. I have no
> >> coding knowledge.
> >>
> >> First need to clarify the cws hsqldb19 code usage, to prevent duplicate
> >> work.
> >> Zoltan
>
> I can/will also do QA for Base
> Kind regards
>
> Mechtilde

Good. So, any builds should also include junit option for this purpose I
assume

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello

Am 29.03.2013 19:07, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>wrote:
>
>> 2013.03.29. 17:25 keltezéssel, Michael Lam írta:

>>> most of the configure and build portion ready but I did run into an issue
>>> which I addressed here
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/**projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/**
>>> 73674/topic/6842122<http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsqldb/forums/forum/73674/topic/6842122>
>>>
>>> I have tested Base with version 2.2.9 and it does address the issues that
>>> the current patches are created for. Overall, most of the issues seem to be
>>> within the AOO code. I have tried to look into some of them but having made
>>> too much progress. Personally I am having a hard time locating the issue, I
>>> am still trying to get use to the build system and the code structure. For
>>> example, there is an issue with setting the default date on a column but I
>>> am unable to locate the UI code for it.
>>>

> Michael -- Great to hear from you again!
>

>>>  The all hsqldb 2.0 intagration work finished in Oracle era, OOo3.4 but
>> the final integration postponed to 3.5 version or later time.
>> It contains lot of code change.
>> All code was stored in cws hsqldb19: http://hg.services.openoffice.**
>> org/hg/cws/hsqldb19/ <http://hg.services.openoffice.org/hg/cws/hsqldb19/>
>> The code transfer to ASF is not clear to me.
>>
>> I did the user side QA work, if I have time will help you. I have no
>> coding knowledge.
>>
>> First need to clarify the cws hsqldb19 code usage, to prevent duplicate
>> work.
>> Zoltan

I can/will also do QA for Base
Kind regards

Mechtilde

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Michael,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 05:26:04PM -0400, Michael Lam wrote:
> As fir the cws hsqldb19 branch, i did check through it and the
> patches from there are currently being used. Beside that I didn't
> see any relevant changes, for example the check for 1.8.x in the
> configure script. I ran into that while working on another issue.
> One thing I am looking into at the moment is recovery in Base, that
> are code that is checking for the version of hsql but I have not
> been able to locate it.

Did you take a look at the driver code? This should be the place to
start:
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/inc/hsqldb/
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/drivers/hsqldb/

Build with debug symbols, and set break points on the main entry point,
the class implementing the component
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/inc/hsqldb/HDriver.hxx
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/drivers/hsqldb/HDriver.cxx

ODriverDelegator::connect seems to read the version from the properties
file in <odb file>/database/properties:
http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/drivers/hsqldb/HDriver.cxx#261

You need to understand some UNO concepts (the basics: what is a UNO
component; and the Base related one: how is a driver implemented
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Database/Driver_Service).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: questions about Base---do we need an embedded DB?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
[ top posting ]

We have gone off topic a bit from the initial subject of this thread.  But
please feel free to add comments on the original subject if you feel
inclined.

And, for those who have volunteered to continue helping with HSQL, thank
you.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Lam <mn...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.

Posted by Michael Lam <mn...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 03/27/2013 04:57 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> Well Derby does seem to be "embed-able ". See:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/embedded_intro.html
>
> This has been suggested before, as early as 2006. See:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm
>
> Still, is any embedded DB  a good thing? Pros and cons...
PRO:
* Very convenient for small things. Imagine if I said that you can write
a document in Write, but you must first install an external application
that Write will connect to. This is rather daunting for new users. Also,
most external systems I expect probably use multiple files, so, if I
want to simply create something small and send it to you, well, I can't
do that easily unless I zip up a directory, send it to you, and then
expect you to install the same DB that I used and then make it work.

Posted by Fred Ollinger <fo...@gmail.com>.
What was the original problem that we are trying to solve?

>From what I can gather we have no idea how many people use Base.
There's speculation that it's small, but unless it's measured, what
does this mean? Also, there are some people who think that Base works
for them and that it's critical for them to have.

Perhaps things are good as is regarding the db?

Fred

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just tossing this out...It seems Apache Derby is the one SQL-based
>> DBMS in the Foundation.  It's actively maintained, and, while it's
>> written in Java, it still works in a client/server model and is
>> therefore probably launchable.
>>
>> Since it's in the family and all, perhaps it can be bundled with OOo,
>> if Base can be structured to use it?
>>
>> Don
>>

> Well Derby does seem to be "embed-able ". See:
>
> http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/DerbyTut/embedded_intro.html
>
> This has been suggested before, as early as 2006. See:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/kp5n2d5yzhprgpjm
>
> Still, is any embedded DB  a good thing? Pros and cons...

Kay;

The answer depends on one's point of view Kay. For me having the
embedded db was one of the reasons I chose to go with OpenOffice when I
was researching replacements for Microsoft Works. I wanted to learn more
about relational databases and it saved me from adding yet one more
application to my system.

The advantage I see of having it is that it is available for those times
that it is needed. For the secretary of a club or small association that
needs to keep track of members and send mailings, or the individual who
wants to track his cd collection or his private library.

Then there is the support issue of what do we do for those people that
have used it and then do not have it anymore. This is not only a support
issue, but could become a marketing nightmare as well. I can see the
blog posts and more now about how AOO has taken away functionality.
Whether it is fud or not, the negative publicity will have an effect on
people.

Regards
Keith

Re: questions about Base---do we need an embedded DB?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> Good point.
>
> So even if there were a replacement, there would need to be legacy interop.

yes...somehow

> That's probably an interesting challenge to avoid with Base.
>
> So, we're back to the previously unanswered problem with regard to support
> of HSQLDB and rotting bits (and version-specific Java dependencies) in Base.

Much investigation would need to be done with respect to the "interface" vs
data store.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> while the base module of AOO is not used all that often, it's the only
> free database software.

You may want to take a look at this page from Wikipedia. Not guaranteed of
course.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_database_management_systems

but I'm not sure of your context here.

If, for example, you want one from Microsoft you need to buy the very much

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hello there,

while the base module of AOO is not used all that often, it's the only
free database software. If, for example, you want one from Microsoft you

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Kay,

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 27 March 2013 17:12, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Guy Waterval <waterval.guy@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 2013/3/27 Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>
> >

> > > I like an embedded DB for those times that I desire a small DB for
> small
> > > data that is relational.  For larger data sets, the embedded DB is
> > > insufficient.
> > >

> > Indeed, end users and a lot of little structures could take profit of a
> > little DB easy to use, ie associations, sport clubs, TPE, museums,
> schools,
> > restaurants, little hotels, storekeepers, etc. Moreover, you can
> transform
> > the weakpoint in a marketing argument : why wearing shoes 45 if my size
> is
> > 40?
> >
> > A+
> > --
> > gw
> >

> My opinion is that users and AOO would be better served if users chose and
> installed their own small DB (one that would support some typical
> connectivity -- ODBC, JDBC) instead of AOO supplying one with the product.
> Many such good small scale DBs exist. It just seems to me that no matter
> what we have/choose now as an embedded DB, and problems that may ensue with
> it, and therefore might require future replacement, is a continual
> problematic cycle we really don't need.

+1, but maybe we should recommend 2 one for really small scale and one for
larger db. That way we do not have the maintenance and we do not leave the
users standing in the rain.

> At this point, given that we don't really know what folks re doing with
> Base. I think it would be better to do a transitional move -- take out the
> embedded DB and therefore "Create new DB" option would go away.  Let the
> front-end stuff alone.

+1

> Naturally, we would have to investigate some export mechanisms for users,
> etc to preserve the data they may already have in ODB.

e.g. through calc, which whould be relatively easy.

rgds
Jan  I.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
I like an embedded DB for those times that I desire a small DB for small
data that is relational.  For larger data sets, the embedded DB is
insufficient.

I see that you specifically ask about an embedded DB, yet some of the
answers are related to Base in general.

--
Andrew Pitonyak

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<ar...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 03:58:06PM -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
> > Well no doubt this may start a rather heated discussion.
>
> One of my favorites quotes about Base is from Andreas Säger (villeroy on
> the forums):
>
> "The difference between MS Access and Base amounts to several millions of
> Dollars and more than one decade of development time.
>
> Once you got used to MS Access, it is rather unlikely that you will ever
> be able to work with any other set of database utilities.
>
> I wish the AOO team had the balls to remove all the experimental trash
> while keeping bare important database connectivity for the pros.

Well I think we have "the balls" but we need to discuss this. I agree that
keeping the connectivity, the front-end portion, is vital, it's the
embedded DB that I am questioning.

Since

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 to a survey.

Also anecdotal descriptions and links to emails don't help much.
Please list the relevant Bugzilla bugs here so those of us that care
can look at fixing them.

Damjan

Posted by Fernand Vanrie <so...@pmgroup.be>.
  Mechtilde
> Hello,
>
> We need base with its easy way to connect to databases like mysql or
> postgresql especially under other OS's than Windows.
>
> we ourselves developed an extension based on this funktion for Law
> Offices in Germany
>
> There is no other free Office Suite which had a databse modul which you
> can use therefore.
i agree

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/13 7:16 AM, Mechtilde wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We need base with its easy way to connect to databases like mysql
> or postgresql especially under other OS's than Windows.
>
> we ourselves developed an extension based on this funktion for Law
> Offices in Germany
>
> There is no other free Office Suite which had a databse modul which
> you can use therefore.

the valid point is that we need maintainer for this code. Otherwise it
becomes even more buggy and that is even more damaging we don't have
such support at all from my pov. But I can understand your demand for it.

The key point is that we have to focus and I think we can't do
everything. Power users can do probably a lot with extensions using
the core database API's. I don't know for sure I never looked deeply
in the database area.

Juergen

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.
Hello,

Posted by Fred Ollinger <fo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fernand Vanrie <so...@pmgroup.be>.
  Ariel ,

>> Well no doubt this may start a rather heated discussion.
> One of my favorites quotes about Base is from Andreas Säger (villeroy on
> the forums):
>
> "The difference between MS Access and Base amounts to several millions of
> Dollars and more than one decade of development time.
>
> Once you got used to MS Access, it is rather unlikely that you will ever
> be able to work with any other set of database utilities.
>
> I wish the AOO team had the balls to remove all the experimental trash
> while keeping bare important database connectivity for the pros.
+20

Pros want to connect to there compagny based Database Server, msQL,
mysql, Oracle etc... and the want Stable and speedy Native Connectors
(even to MSQL)

General users want to connect to flat files, Spreadsheets , and there
Email adress books

1% uses the internal base to store some data

so please concentrate the developer efforts to make the connectivity -
and the frontend functions better and at least uptodate

As a example: Frank Shönheit  made a very usefull grid functionality, it
works, but need some more work to make it perfect for professional use...

greetz

Fernand

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Kay,

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 26/03/13 14:52, Rob Weir a écrit :

Hi Rob,

> Some other interesting facts, most of which we're already familiar with:
>
> 1) Microsoft doesn't include Access in their base Office packages.  So
> on the one hand this means that most Office users don't use a
> database, or they do lightweight database work in their spreadsheet.
> On the other hand, the fact that OpenOffice has a database included is
> a distinguishing feature of OpenOffice.

Well, a check today of an upgrade offer for Office 2010 on one of my
Windows machines led me to a Microsoft Office 365 page on which it was
clearly stated that for 99 Euros, I could get a copy of MSOffice 365
Family Edition including Access.

Alex

Re: questions about Base---do we need an embedded DB?

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> Hi all,
>
> 2013/3/26 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>
>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Well no doubt this may start a rather heated discussion. I started
>> looking
>> > into the history of the Base component, who is using it now (looked into
>> > Forums, users discussion list), and finally came upon the following FAQ
>> > (edited a LOT just recently):
>> >
>> >[...]
>>

>> So the future is likely going to look like one of the following:
>>
>> 1) We encourage a critical mass of volunteers interested in
>> maintaining, improving, testing, documenting, supporting, etc., Base.
>> As we know achieving critical mass is made more difficult by the
>> senseless forking of the project, which hurts LibreOffice Base users
>> as well.
>>

> Why not approach Libo on this question and try to obtain a shared
> collaboration on Base ?. After all, they have the same problem. Perhaps
> they could agree on this question which should appear as a win win party.
> Just an idea.

We (IBM) have attempted, several times, to raise this topic of code
collaboration with the corporate sponsors of LibreOffice: SUSE and
Redhat.  Unfortunately, our overtures have been rebuffed each time.
But we won't stop trying.

-Rob

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/13 5:34 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> yeah, great *sarcasm*, let's add another bullet point to a microsoft
>>> presentation titled 'how Microsoft Office is better than
>>> OpenOfffice.org".... OO.o lacks database? check!"
>>
>> I don't see any sarcasm here but a valid order to address this problem.
>>
>> Do we really want compete with MS? Or do we want provide an open source
>> and open standard based office productivity suite that can do most of
>> the daily tasks of common users of such an office suite? I personally
>> think we want the second and want help people who are open minded to
>> solve their problems first and want to save money for other things.
>>

> I am amazed how you select your own questions and then answer them as if we
> have to choose one or the other. I think we want to compete with microsoft,
> we have done it for years. I dont think we want to stop competing with
> microsoft. That's why many users ask about us developing a mobile/cloud
> offering. Because they want to see a strong open source competition to the
> office suite.

Well my main point is to lower the expectation and focus on what is
possible. Sure everybody wants a free alternative to MS and we have
shown that we can be a good alternative and can compete in certain areas.

If you go to somebody and say hey use OpenOffice it is a replacement for
MS Office but for free. The expectation is high. But if you ask first
what do you have to do with an office suite and have you tried
OpenOffice? It can probably do what you need and it is an open source
and open standard based office suite where you don't have to pay any
license fee. ...

We will of course compete indirectly but I would set the expectation
differently.

> If we wanted the second, then Calligra would be by far more advanced to us,
> since they have a more developed suite with many more components that what
> we currently ship. Kexi is by far more developed than Base, and is somewhat
> more flexible than Base using SQLite as the embeded DB and MySQL as part of
> the QtDB module. Let alone other modules like Kivio (which users have also
> asked for a Visio-like module).

I don't get your point here. I don't know Calligra in detail but know
that it works well for certain users to fulfill their tasks. Perfect
they are happy with it and that's fine.

I am open to support anybody who is interested to work on a new
application or whatever feature is wanted and where we see demand.

But all this discussion come back to the question who will do the work?

Drawing big pictures of what we need is easy but not enough.

Juergen

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 26 March 2013 18:16, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > language within Excel called DAO.
> >
> > It bares the question if Base should change to have a more spreadsheet
> > centric aproach, meaning that we should include formulas into Base.
> >

> > As a quick reply to the spreadsheet comment. Already, there exist DB
> functions in Calc, and Base can import spreadsheets into its front-end if
> you will.
>
> We are living in a far, far different world than  when StarOffice was first
> introduced. The database world, who creates them, who maintains them is
> quite different.
>
> I brought this up to suggest that the focus of Base be changed, not
> eliminated entirely.  Maintaining/developing the connectivity pieces to
> various forms of databases is probably manageable. A full-blown embedded DB
> -- maybe not.  What are the consequences of a full-blown embedded DB to

It is soo much easier just to use an open source db, that are maintained by
database specialist. If we should embed one (which I do not like), we
should anyhow not develop it but simply have it as a third party package.

> We do need to focus on preserving the quality of the product -- in total.

+1

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 3/26/13 4:00 PM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:
> [...]
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> My ordered preference would be 1, 3
>>

>> yeah, great *sarcasm*, let's add another bullet point to a microsoft
>> presentation titled 'how Microsoft Office is better than
>> OpenOfffice.org".... OO.o lacks database? check!"
>>
>> My opinion is that maybe Sun put HSQLDB in there to fill in the need for a
>> resident database engine, which in the commercial offering (StarOffice) was
>> filled by Adabas D.
>>
>> One can still read the positive reviews of StarOffice where the database
>> module is praised:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Microsystems-0614647643195-StarOffice-7/dp/B0000DG2N4
>>
>> ////
>> * StarOffice Adabas (database application) is included (getting MS Access
>> requires buying MS Office Pro) and is easier to use than MS Access. Adabas
>> integrates with other StarOffice apps so, for instance, users can easily
>> create mail merge documents.
>> ///
>>
>> So, if HSQLDB is not up to par, maybe the realistic solution is to find a
>> database engine lightweight and powerful enough to take the role that
>> Adabas D had in StarOffice?.
>>
>> FC
>> PS: I read this whole thread as 'we don't want to maintain this code, since
>> we don't understand it, and we fear it's buggy'. But the solution in any
>> case is replacing the database module for another, or improving the
>> existing code, not making excuses for saying 'people don't use databases
>> after all so it should be gone'.
>
> +1
>
> Again I ask: where are the Bugzilla bugs?
>
> A quick search finds a corruption bug
> (https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=55496) which states:
> "While it's difficult to fix this with our current approach, where the data is
> just some sub-streams in a ZIP package, we need to somehow address this. I fear
> this might in fact only be possible with a package format (replacing the ZIP
> package format for this purpose) which allows O(1) random access to all of its
> parts."
>
> If that's the only problem, I don't think the author of that message
> realized that there is a way to get O(1) random access to the contents
> of a zipped file: ZIP files allow each archived file to use its own
> compression type, including no compression. HSQLDB could write
> directly to its uncompressed byte range in the ZIP file, with a thin
> shim checking for when it attempts to write beyond the end of this
> range (ie. grow the database), and then it could expand the ZIP file
> to accommodate it. With a bit of cleverness, this could even be done
> in-place, by keeping the HSQL database at the end of the ZIP file
> (when possible), and just moving up and updating the ZIP directories
> (and other files, when it's not at the end) that follow it.
>
> Oh and as for Jürgen's comment:
> +1 to competing with Microsoft, because any good office suite

I stopped dreaming at least for this specific topic and be more
realistic ;-)

Juergen

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well no doubt this may start a rather heated discussion. I started looking
> into the history of the Base component, who is using it now (looked into
> Forums, users discussion list), and finally came upon the following FAQ
> (edited a LOT just recently):
>
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/FAQ_%28Base%29
>
> which seems to indicate (hmmm)--
>
>  "Is Base a database?
>
> Not technically. Base serves several roles within the *Office suite
> (AOO<http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html>/
> LibO <http://www.libreoffice.org/>), but Base *itself* is strictly an
> interface (or front-end<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa141493%28office.10%29.aspx>)
> designed to connect to various types of databases, by means of
> driver<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/Database/Driver_Specifics>files."
>

> ...and then
>
> "Base offers to create an *all-in-one 'embedded database' file* similar to
> MS Access. In this configuration, the front-end components (queries, forms,
> reports and macros) are packaged together with the database files produced
> by HSQLDB, all within a single Base (.odb) file. Unfortunately, this
> single-file concept has proven unreliable with Base, leading to rampant
> data corruption<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162653#p162653>.
> So it's best to avoid the 'Create new database' wizard in Base thereby
> avoiding 'embedded database' files (perhaps with the exception of
> developing prototypes or distributing
> examples<http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewforum.php?f=100>).
> Fortunately, Base offers an alternative wizard which produces a robust '
> split-database<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa141493%28office.10%29.aspx>'
> configuration in which the database (tables and user-data) is stored in a
> separate file (or files). Steps for creating a new 'split-database'
> utilizing the built-in HSQL database-engine with Base are outlined below."
>

> I don't really know who the author is, but, I too, had been giving this a
> great deal of thought. Does a user know what any of this really means, for
> example. And, including an embedded DB like HSQL puts added responsibility
> for that embedded DB on this project.  What if Base were  strictly  a
> front-end?
>
> So, does anyone have any further insights into how many users, if any,
> directly use Base to create and use their own individual DBs as opposed to
> using the "front-end" capabilities?

Some other interesting facts, most of which we're already familiar with:

1) Microsoft doesn't include Access in their base Office packages.  So
on the one hand this means that most Office users don't use a
database, or they do lightweight database work in their spreadsheet.
On the other hand, the fact that OpenOffice has a database included is
a distinguishing feature of OpenOffice.

2) Symphony did not include Base.  So as we port Symphony improvements
over to OpenOffice,  we should not expect any Base improvements.  So
unless there is more dev effort in Base, it will fall behind in UI and
accessibility as well.

3) As others have mentioned, Base is only as good as we have
maintenance of it.  Some of mentioned the dev side.  We should also
note that knowledge of Base is a limiting factor on the QA side as
well. Since most users don't use Base, we have a shortage of testers
who know Base.

4) Although they are not the majority, there are certainly some users
who depend on Base and are passionate about it.  No survey is going to
resolve this for us.  There are Base users.

So the future is likely going to look like one of the following:

1) We encourage a critical mass of volunteers interested in
maintaining, improving, testing, documenting, supporting, etc., Base.
As we know achieving critical mass is made more difficult by the
senseless forking of the project, which hurts LibreOffice Base users
as well.

2) We continue as-is, with a gradual degradation in stability, until
an incompatible OS change, or a security flaw comes along and
administers the coup de grâce.

3) We drop Base before it gets to the point where it harms the
reputation of the project.

My ordered preference would be 1, 3, 2.

-Rob

Re: questions about Base---do we need an embedded DB?

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 26/03/13 00:39, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

Hi all,

> This is hard too guess. The majority of AOO users are Windows users, so
> you can asume that the "average user" that tries Base with a MS Office
> background, is looking for something like MS Access. I guess this was
> what drove Sun to create the ODB file with embedded db inside. With such
> an expectation, no wonder this average user gets frustrated with Base.

Those who do use the embedded hsqldb ODB file format in France where I
live, be it with OOo, AOO, or LO, tend to be mostly associations, clubs,
individuals or other not-for-profit entities as it previously solved
their problem of not having to fork out for Access and was
cross-platform. This was certainly at least the case until Office 365
came out, for which I now see (this morning) that even the Family &
Small Business version includes Access (for Windows only, but
nonetheless interesting enough).

So, it would be worth bearing in mind also that any choice to drop
embedded database engine support would probably lead current ODB/ODF
users to switch back to MSOffice - after all, if you can have Office 365
Family for 99 Euros and install it on up to 3 different Windows PCs, why
go to the hassle of using AOO/LO/OOo ?

As for businesses that use this embedded format in France, I wouldn't
like to hazard a guess. Personally and professionally, I've only ever
used StarOffice/OOo/AOO/LO to access an external data source / db engine
/ db server.

Alex