Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Arthur M Newman <am...@mailhost.ray.com> on 2004/12/15 17:55:18 UTC

svnserve -r option

Hi,

I've got svnserve running in tunnel mode on my Mac/OS X box. On OS X,
you need to write a small file that contains the necessary service
parameters which is read by xinetd. The contents of the file are:

service svn
{
	disable		= no
	socket_type	= stream
	protocol		= tcp
	wait			= no
	group		= svn
	server		= /usr/local/bin/svnserve
	server_args	= -t -r=/usr/local/svn
	groups		= yes
	umask		= 002
}

As you can see, it's got the usual inetd stuff, just in a different
format. The only problem is that the -r flag doesn't seem to do
anything. Remote users need to type the complete path, or a 'no
repository found' error is returned.

Thanks for any hints,
Art

Re: svnserve -r option

Posted by Daniel Jackson <da...@email.unc.edu>.
Art,

What works for me is to remove the "=" after the "-r".

Daniel

Re: svnserve -r option

Posted by Nick Vargish <ni...@vargish.org>.

> 	server_args	= -t -r=/usr/local/svn

Remove the second '=', and all should be well, like:

    server_args = -t -r /usr/local/svn

The Unix convention is that single-dash options take a space between
the flag and the argument, whereas double-dash options take an equal
sign between the flag and the argument.

Nick

--
Nick Vargish  |  nick@vargish.org  |  http://nick.vargish.org

Re: svnserve -r option

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Arthur M Newman wrote:

> As you can see, it's got the usual inetd stuff, just in a different
> format. The only problem is that the -r flag doesn't seem to do
> anything. Remote users need to type the complete path, or a 'no
> repository found' error is returned.

Tunnel mode has nothing to do with inetd, so your inetd configuration
isn't being used.  To force a specific -r flag to be used for tunnel
users you can either replace svnserve with a script that calls svnserve
with the -r option or force ssh to run a specific command for that user
that includes the -r option.

-garrett

Re: svnserve -r option

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Dec 15, 2004, at 11:55 AM, Arthur M Newman wrote:

> 	server_args	= -t -r=/usr/local/svn

Isn't it either

       -r /usr/local/svn

or

       --root=/usr/local/svn

?

I'm just reading 'man svnserve' here.

Re: svnserve -r option

Posted by Robert Sfeir <yo...@gmail.com>.
Arthur,

Take out the = after the -r should be -r repository