Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/10/28 18:36:22 UTC

Getting / Building / Testing the latest Xalan-J

Todie,
yes the link pointing to the latest code is wrong on our website (will be
fixed in 2.7.1 release).

You can look at the code with either of these links in your browser:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan/
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xalan/

The java/trunk and test/trunk subdirectories are the ones with the latest
development code.
The second link, with "viewvc" in it is slightly prettier.

However, to really download the code you need a subversion client and
anonymous access.
You can find pre-built binaries of subversion clients for different
operating systems here:
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html#binary-packages

The command line with "svn" (the client) to get the latest Xalan-J on
Windows is then
something like this:
        svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan/java/trunk
D:\temp5\java
which checks out a copy of the code into local directory D:\temp5\java

Similarly for the test harness (if you want that, but don't need it to
download/build the latest Xalan-J)
       svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xalan/test/trunk
D:\temp5\test

Those two commands will put a copy of the latest parts in the local
directories "java" and "test",
which are sibling directories with both having parent "D:\temp5".  If you
want to test your build with
the test harness provided with Xalan then it is easiest if you keep the
local directory names
as I suggest.

With your paths set up to compile Java code, go into D:\temp5\java (or the
equivalent) and issue these two commands:
       build clean
       build

When done you will find xalan.jar and serializer.jar in D:\temp5\java\build

If you want to test the jars you built in D:\temp5\java\build, change
directory to D:\temp5\test and issue this command:
       build jar
then
        build smoketest

Running the "build smoketest" or other targets in the "test" directory
automatically looks for the jars in ..\java\build
and that is why it is easiest to just download the projects into sibling
directories with the given names.

Towards the end of that you will see two "CONGRATULATIONS" messages if all
goes well, and it should.

You'll need to get both xalan.jar and serializer.jar on the appropriate
classpath.

See http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html for a little more
information on Apache and subversion.

- Brian
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian Minchau
Apache Xalan PMC

             "toadie D"
             <toadie643@gmail.
                                       Brian Minchau/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
             10/28/2006 03:52                                           cc
             AM                        xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: xalan 2.5.1 vs. 2.7 performance
                                       question

Brian

Will do.  Although I am having problem getting at the source

Linkin from Xalan main page

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xml-xalan/java/

leads me to a 404

Regards

Toadie

On 10/27/06, Brian Minchau <mi...@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Toadie,
> In general 2.7.0 should be faster than 2.5.1 because some performance
work
> was done after the 2.5.1 release. Of course it all depends on the
> stylesheet and other factors.
>
> I'm concerned that you see more that 10X degredation for your
> multi-threaded application. We are ramping up for 2.7.1 soon. Can you
build
> Xalan from the latest code in subversion and see how that performs for
you?
> That is going to be very close to the 2.7.1 release.
>
> If the latest development code has the same problem for you, then you
need
> to open a defect in JIRA as soon as possible.
>
> - Brian
>

>             "toadie D"
>             <toadie643@gmail.
>             com>                                                       To
>                                       xalan-j-users@xml.apache.org
>             10/27/2006 10:20                                           cc
>             PM
>                                                                   Subject
>                                       xalan 2.5.1 vs. 2.7 performance
>                                       question