Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2005/09/21 22:24:15 UTC

Re: apache2-rename-unstable branch

Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Hey Geoff, shouldn't the apache2-rename-unstable branch be nuked?
>
> I'm not sure that you delete branches in svn.  probably best to ask on
> the dev list and get input from folks like joe and philippe who grok svn
> better than I do.

I don't think it has anything to do with the understanding of svn. It's
just that if something is dead why keeping it around? All the changes from
that branch were merged into the trunk anyway, so it doesn't have any
extra value besides the painful memories.

Re: apache2-rename-unstable branch

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
>> I'm not sure that you delete branches in svn.  probably best to ask on
>> the dev list and get input from folks like joe and philippe who grok
>> svn better than I do.
I see no point to keeping it.
libapreq2 actually had a similiar branch, and swapped it directly in for trunk rather then merging it back in.

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/
   http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
        http://www.liquidation.com
        http://www.uksurplus.com
        http://www.govliquidation.com
        http://www.gowholesale.com

Re: apache2-rename-unstable branch

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> Exactly, once a branch has outlived it's usefuleness, there is nothing wrong
> with:
>
> $> svn delete -m'Merged successfully to trunk/' \
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/branches/apache2-rename-unstable/

+1

--Geoff

Re: apache2-rename-unstable branch

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>>I'm not sure that you delete branches in svn.  probably best to ask on
>>>the dev list and get input from folks like joe and philippe who grok
>>>svn better than I do.
>>
>>I don't think it has anything to do with the understanding of svn. It's
>>just that if something is dead why keeping it around? All the changes
>>from that branch were merged into the trunk anyway, so it doesn't have
>>any extra value besides the painful memories.
>

> Exactly, once a branch has outlived it's usefuleness, there is nothing wrong
> with:
>
> $> svn delete -m'Merged successfully to trunk/' \
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/perl/modperl/branches/apache2-rename-unstable/

it's gone.

Re: apache2-rename-unstable branch

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.