Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2001/12/05 21:25:22 UTC

Re: Fwd: Localisation - how do we override it...

[moved discussion to from turbine-user to turbine-dev]

Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com> writes:

> As per the mail below, I am looking at ways to handle merging of
> localisation properties and had the idea of using sequences of
> resource bundles.
>
> Does this sound like the correct approach?

Yes, it does sound like the correct approach.  I say this because I
already implemented it.  ;P

> Is this something that would be acceptable in fulcrum/turbine 3?  I
> could submit patches for this.

It's part of Fulcrum -- the bundles property is leveraged.  It's quite
new, so if something is missing, broken, or not implemented to your
liking, please speak up.

> I see in fulcrum there is support for multiple resource bundles -
> perhaps a switch to allow this list to be used as a sequence of
> bundles for lookups?

It already is used as a sequence of bundles to iterate through during
a lookup.  Could you provide an example of what you're trying to do so
I can see how it differs from what's there, and how I can make the
documentation more clear?

> Alternatively, via a new property which lists the bundle sequence to
> be used for default lookup processing.

The sequence that is used is as specified in the properties file, just
as any other search path (like the PATH environment variable looked
through for binaries).

> The getString methods would then follow the sequence of bundles to
> find a resource, as sketched out below.

If I'm understanding what you're saying, it already does this...how is
what you're proposing different?

                                 Dan

Re: Fwd: Localisation - how do we override it...

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

> Great.  Is there a spot in the JavaDoc that you would suggest
> improvements to?

Now that I know its there, its easier to find - but perhaps a mention
of the functionality offered by getString in the class level
javadocs, not just against the method.

> That's the ideal, but since I don't use Turbine 2 much I'm not sure
> what would be involved in that.  If it isn't currently usuable, it
> certainly wouldn't be difficult to backport from the
> jakarta-turbine-fulcrum to jakarta-turbine-2 repository.

I'll look at that first - hopefully this will make the t2 -> t3
transition easier...

Chris

=====
Need somewhere to Live in London? - Then go to http://freeflats.com

Re: Fwd: Localisation - how do we override it...

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello Dan,
>
> --- Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:
> > > Now - do you think that the localization service from fulcrum be
>> used
>> > with a turbine-2 app?
>>
>> That's the ideal, but since I don't use Turbine 2 much I'm not sure
>> what would be involved in that.  If it isn't currently usuable, it
>> certainly wouldn't be difficult to backport from the
>> jakarta-turbine-fulcrum to jakarta-turbine-2 repository.
>>

> I am trying to use the localization service from a recent fulcrum
> build with turbine-2 (1 feb 2002), with jetspeed, but get an error
> that the service does not implement Initable.
>
> I presume this is one of the major changes from turbine-2 to 3...
>
> Unless anyone has any suggestions, I will look at backporting the
> localization changes that I want from fulcrum into turbine-2
> localization... specifically the getString method and its related
> calls.

That would be good.  Just `diff -u` the Fulcrum version against the
Turbine 2 version, and what you need to port should become evident.

Re: Fwd: Localisation - how do we override it...

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Dan,

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for the reply.

I haven't had proper network access the last few days -- I'm an
ATT@Home "customer".

>> > Does this sound like the correct approach?
>>
>> Yes, it does sound like the correct approach.  I say this because I
>> already implemented it.  ;P
>
> Then I wasn't far off track ;-)
>
> I missed the TurbineLocalizationService.getString's contract of
> trying each bundle in turn.  Looks like just what I want.

Great.  Is there a spot in the JavaDoc that you would suggest
improvements to?

> I could only see methods for accessing things by named resource
> bundles or the default bundle.

Where were you looking?  I should put a note about the additional
functionality there.

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

> > Does this sound like the correct approach?
>
> Yes, it does sound like the correct approach.  I say this because I
> already implemented it.  ;P

Then I wasn't far off track ;-)

I missed the TurbineLocalizationService.getString's contract of
trying each bundle in turn.  Looks like just what I want.

> It already is used as a sequence of bundles to iterate through
> during
> a lookup.  Could you provide an example of what you're trying to do
> so
> I can see how it differs from what's there, and how I can make the
> documentation more clear?

I could only see methods for accessing things by named resource
bundles or the default bundle.

Now - do you think that the localization service from fulcrum be used
with a turbine-2 app?

Thanks,
Chris

=====