Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by floris v <fl...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/21 20:34:20 UTC

Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it

Hello,

I just downloaded and installed the latest developer snapshot/build and
found that it replaces the stable version. Please return to the good
tradition of installing the dev snapshot parallel with the stable
version so that people using AOO for work can also test developer builds.

floris v

RE: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Unless there is specific provision for side-by-side installs, there will be conflicts with two Windows installs using/replacing the same user profile.  At the moment, the only differentiation is that they are associated with OpenOffice 3 (not even 3.4).

Of course, the new install might well clone the older user profile, but it needs a new one, in a different place, to avoid contamination of the one used by the older version.  Also on Windows, the caching of extensions and other goodies is located on the same path as the user profile.

There may be other conflicts beside where the program files are installed.  On Windows, it is very difficult to have file associations and their Open With ... alternatives to include two programs with the same file names even though they are on different paths.

 - Dennis

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> Kay Schenk schrieb:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  On 21/07/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>
>>>  there was a

>>> Correcting myself: the page is online now, but the one above is the URL
>>> for 3.4 snapshots, not for current snapshots.
>>>
>>> The right one is
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/****confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**<https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**>
>>> Development+Snapshot+Builds<ht**tps://cwiki.apache.org/**
>>> confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**Development+Snapshot+Builds<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds>
>>> >

>>> I've now changed both pages so that:
>>> - The 3.4 snapshots page redirects the reader to the second page, in case
>>> he is looking for current builds.
>>> - The second page explains that development builds can be provided with
>>> or
>>> without system integration (and what this means), and tells the reader if
>>> the currently available builds are with or without system integration.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>    Andrea.
>>>

>> Maybe to address floris v's initial concerns -- and in truth this is how
>> we
>> have been operating for a while, with replacement -- we should just edit
>> the Development Snapshot page to caution folks to always do a "custom"
>> install so they can install a different location than the normal default
>> for their systems, which will always do an overwrite.
>>
>> Would this work? Even for Windows?
>>

> No. Overwriting does not depend on the install location but on the product
> key (or something similar, I don't know exactly). If it is the same, the
> previous version is uninstalled even if it is in a different folder. So the
> build itself must already have the property of parallel installation.
>
> But the second problem is, that you need a way to make the user directory
> different. You cannot use the same user settings with different versions.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
>

> Thanks for this info, Regina...and too bad it works this way for Windows.

On Linux, I can install a new version in a separate area and both the older
and new version use my existing OO profile and this works fine and dandy.

So, no resolution for Windows testers without overwriting?

It would be nice if we could figure something out and document the
Developer Snapshot page.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Kay,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

TJ Frazier schrieb:
> On 7/21/2012 16:17, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> RGB ES wrote:
>>> I think that that was on purpose: we are really close to 3.4.1 release
>>> so it's time to test install issues.
>>
>> Exactly, it was discussed earlier on this list. Anyway, there was a
>> quite prominent warning on the download page last time I checked (it
>> seems
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
>>
>> is temporarily unavailable at the moment).
>>
>>> You can always install several versions in parallel. For Linux the
>>> procedure is here
>>
>> We have a "semi-official" page about this on the wiki too:
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
>>

> FWIW, I'm currently running (under WV) 3.3 (regular install), 3.4 beta
> (dev install), and AOO 3.4 (parallel install, per Andrea's link). I
> don't turn on any of the Quickstarters (that would be pushing it), and
> only run one version at a time, but all work well. Depending on where
> you specify the data should go, the parallel version may cause security
> hassles with Windows permissions, but there are several ways around that.

"run one version at a time" is not really needed. If you use different
user folders, you can run the versions at the same time. To get
different user folders you can edit the bootstrap file or you can call
soffice with parameter -env:UserInstallation=
With the latter you can even run the _same_ installation two or more
times, for example one with English UI and at the same time with German UI.

This works at least for WinXp and Windows 7.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
On 7/21/2012 16:17, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> RGB ES wrote:
>> 2012/7/21 floris v:
>>> I just downloaded and installed the latest developer snapshot/build and
>>> found that it replaces the stable version.
>> I think that that was on purpose: we are really close to 3.4.1 release
>> so it's time to test install issues.
>
> Exactly, it was discussed earlier on this list. Anyway, there was a
> quite prominent warning on the download page last time I checked (it
> seems
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
> is temporarily unavailable at the moment).
>
>> You can always install several versions in parallel. For Linux the
>> procedure is here
>
> We have a "semi-official" page about this on the wiki too:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

FWIW, I'm currently running (under WV) 3.3 (regular install), 3.4 beta
(dev install), and AOO 3.4 (parallel install, per Andrea's link). I
don't turn on any of the Quickstarters (that would be pushing it), and
only run one version at a time, but all work well. Depending on where
you specify the data should go, the parallel version may cause security
hassles with Windows permissions, but there are several ways around that.

/tj/

Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/7/21 floris v <fl...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I just downloaded and installed the latest developer snapshot/build and
> found that it replaces the stable version.

I think that that was on purpose: we are really close to 3.4.1 release
so it's time to test install issues.

You can always install several versions in parallel. For Linux the
procedure is here

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=228097#p228097

For windows I think this old OOoNinja article is still valid

http://www.oooninja.com/2009/03/openofficeorg-3-install-portable-how.html

but someone need to check it. Not sure about mac, but I remember
reading that renaming the image file is enough... but again don't take
it for granted: I'm not a mac user.

Regards
Ricardo