Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Cole Greer <Co...@improving.com.INVALID> on 2024/03/20 20:37:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Code Freeze Utilization

Hi all,

Our current code freeze process prior to releases is somewhat loosely defined, and I have not seen a lot of evidence that the community gains much value through it in the current state. The only documented process I have found relating to code freeze is from the developer docs (https://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/current/dev/developer/#_pre_flight_check)

“Seven days before release, announce the code freeze on the dev mailing list to remind the community that the branch under release is protected. Tweaks to documentation and other odds and ends related to release are still allowed during this period.”

In practice, code freeze is often initiated on a Friday, giving 10 days (and 2 weekends) before a release vote goes out on the following Monday. This gives the community tons of time to review the snapshots, but in recent releases, I have not seen much feedback come during code freeze week. In recent releases, issues are generally not reported until the start of voting or in the weeks after the release.

In my eyes, code freeze is an important tool to give providers a chance to test the snapshots and ensure compatibility before a release is finalized, but I’m not sure if the current 7-10 day process is efficiently meeting that goal. I wanted to ask who is currently taking advantage of code freeze week to test out the upcoming release, as well as how much time do you typically find is needed in order to complete all required testing.

Please let me know how you are currently using code freeze week and if you have any thoughts on how the process is or isn’t working effectively.

Thanks,

Cole