Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> on 2009/10/20 07:07:54 UTC

ApacheCon at ASIA

Hi fellows,

2 or 3 years ago, the apache software foundation held the APACHECON ASIA
in Sri Lanka, IIRC
#IIRC: If I remember correctly -- in other words, if my memory serves me corrently.

What would you think about holding the conference in Asia again
around Hong Kong?
(Of course, for me  -- Tokyo would be the best - though ... :-)

----

 Tetsuya @   apache committer (Japan)

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

I see. what I could not join in was ...@apache.org
not ...@apachecon

> I see. what was open to only members was apacpm@apache.org
> As already mentioned we're putting together an event in late November
> and early December in both Beijing and Colombo.  At this point, I
> believe the events are fairly well planned and we'll be getting info out
> to the public soon.  There's only a couple of people volunteering and
> everyone is very busy, so we're a little slow on getting it organized.

I willl participate the list above amd see the current problems
(Maybe can not so much problem)

Regisitration issue is just due to the "announcements".
I can do it at local (Japanese large 4 + net news)
news papers, etc. in various ways.

> My suggestion is to attend one or both of the events later this year and
> see how it goes.  We can then look at your ideas for 2010.

I can not go to SriLanka. I have a virtual office at Mumbai now,
so going to Colombo itself would be no problem, though.

Re: Respects (Re: ApacheCon at ASIA)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> The Apache Software Fundation's rule - there is no relationships
> between superior and inferior. I mean, hierarchy. (bureaucratism is
> one of them)

Nope.  There are those with merit, and those with increasing or
decreasing fractions of merit, and those with no merit.

Then there are those who literally have negative merit, the amount
they have contributed to the foundation is literally insufficient
to cover the aggrivation which they have caused to the foundation.
This is a rare case, but your litany's to this list come dangerously
close to that line.

The chair is a founder of the Apache Group, one of 8 who thought that
it would be cool to come together and collect patches to improve open
source software, one who helped form the foundation, one who served
as it's secretary for almost a decade and one who has chaired both the
board and the prc for several years.  That isn't authority, that is
an investment of energy and effort, and demonstrates merit.

I'm sorry you still can't make this connection, I believe I'm done
trying to point you in the right direction.  The most appropriate
resolution is likely to consider you persona non grata to the entire
community, and if you would like a vote on this matter, this list
would be happy to oblige.  Otherwise please cease and desist.

Respects (Re: ApacheCon at ASIA)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
> Tetsuya, you have show the utmost lack of respect on this forum to the
> chairman of the organization, who in the most friendly and forgiving way
> attempted to nudge you away from inappropriate directions.  Noone else
> in this organization is so flexible.  So your complaint falls on deaf ears.

The Apache Software Fundation's rule - there is no relationships
between superior and inferior. I mean, hierarchy. (bureaucratism is
one of them)

Maybe I had been wrongly taken introduction by POI founder and
Cocoon/Forrest founder to the weird road from 2003. (oh, 6 years --- long way)
I have thought that "merit" will never disappear and it remain forever.
Over the threshold, you will have an invitation for membership of the
Apache Software Foundation as "individual".

Thank you very much to Bill and #chair#, that IT was a wrong way
you told me clearly.

About the respect upon #chair#, I wrote clearly in PRC list and
private lists. I will not say again. Miscommunication.

Thank you very much. Mucho Gracias.

Tetsuya @ apache

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>  I had longly thought that this is for the committers' relaxation room.
>  (Freely but with "RESPECT"s to each other)

Tetsuya, you have show the utmost lack of respect on this forum to the
chairman of the organization, who in the most friendly and forgiving way
attempted to nudge you away from inappropriate directions.  Noone else
in this organization is so flexible.  So your complaint falls on deaf ears.

If this was a closed list, you could say whatever you wanted, no harm no
foul except for your relationships to individual fellow committers.  But
that is not how it is perceived that you have used this list or other
marketing angles.

>  If there is no such list, I want such one. Not in the form of ML would
>  be appreciative also. (There are a lot of SNS exists now)
>
>  If changed in the past, would it be visible? Where can I find out?
>  Committers (not members) can not see at all?

community@ is open to all.  that means the general public.  that means that
you should first work out fundraising or similar ideas on closed lists with
the appropriate people, and then introduce them to the public.

Right now these appear to be your personal fundraising schemes in the name
of the ASF, and that wouldn't have been the case if you approached PRC
directly.

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Question:

> Then please, leave this discussion from this list, and introduce these people
> to the concom folks, simply email concom at apache.org with a letter of
> introduction, that's all it takes.

 When this list was changed to
 "this is a list to discuss communities of coders."
 "Not to first propose moneymaking schemes or new conference sites."??
 I had longly thought that this is for the committers' relaxation room.
 (Freely but with "RESPECT"s to each other)

 If there is no such list, I want such one. Not in the form of ML would
 be appreciative also. (There are a lot of SNS exists now)

 If changed in the past, would it be visible? Where can I find out?
 Committers (not members) can not see at all?

 Just - Now, Creating or testing the SNS Java/Python or Ruby project in Incubator?

----

Tetsuya

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> What would you say to this?

What I say is that why would you ask this a few hours later?  Email is
not a direct point-to-point interface, and some of us can't be online
24/7.  So you have asked, I have answered, and you have places to take
your ideas.

If your new schemes appear on this list, I will presume they are blatent
self-promotion of yourself irrespective of whether I can run them through
a translator, or if they are pure .gif images that are illegible to the
illiterate.  If you present them in the appropriate places and they are
agreeably good ideas, I welcome the chance to recognize your contributions.

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
What would you say to this?

----

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>> About Bali (Near Java, Jakarta) issue, I know intertnational conductors who are
>> managing the big events at Bali island.
>
> Then please, leave this discussion from this list, and introduce these people
> to the concom folks, simply email concom at apache.org with a letter of
> introduction, that's all it takes.

[noted that this reply was moderated to the appropriate lists for further
discussion, thanks Tetsuya, look forward to corresponding there, rather than
on publicly archived lists.]

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

> About Bali (Near Java, Jakarta) issue, I know intertnational conductors who are
> managing the big events at Bali island.

Then please, leave this discussion from this list, and introduce these people
to the concom folks, simply email concom at apache.org with a letter of
introduction, that's all it takes.

> About the fact of "STRONG YEN" (against EUR, USD - every!) issue, maybe you are
> right, Bill. (In this sense, now Seoul is a good place ... Mmmmm)

Very true - we had currency conversion issues even organizing the last EU event
in AMS when budgeted in USD.

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
>> ABOUT APACHECON ASIA

>>> CN has proven easier than JP.  Again, this is a list to discuss
>>> communities of
>>> coders.  Not to first propose moneymaking schemes or new conference
>>> sites.
>>>

>> About Bali (Near Java, Jakarta) issue, I know intertnational
>> conductors who are
>> managing the big events at Bali island.
>> About the fact of "STRONG YEN" (against EUR, USD - every!) issue,
>> maybe you are
>> right, Bill. (In this sense, now Seoul is a good place ... Mmmmm)
>>
>> Korea, the Republic of (Seoul)
>> and China (including Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau)
>> would be better than Japan maybe and Japanese Companies
>> can be the sponsors if held there.
>>

> Where is this discussion happening? This is the first and only email I
> have on this thread... would like to follow the original discussion.

The concom list.

Mark

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
ABOUT APACHECON ASIA

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:
> Seems that it's (mentioned) mailing list is open to the members only.

Correct, and please forgive Rich.  Reflex response :)

> Discuess here would be helpful for the participants (including commiters only)
> don't you think?

No.  Not really.

The mechanics of creating a conference (or fundraising effort) are wider than
a community discussion list.  Good ideas are always welcome, and good suggestions
posted to concom at apache.org will always be moderated through.  But there are
hundreds of factors to consider.

Thankfully, Beijing and Colombo appear to be under discussion already for this
year - as a 2x city bill.  As you say, much penetration into the Asia community!

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On Wed 21 Oct 2009 15:49, Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> wrote:

> Discuess here would be helpful for the participants (including commiters only)
> don't you think?

planners-2009-asia@apachecon.com.  If a committer wants to volunteer on
a planning committee, we can add them to the planners list.

> If China would be impossible, Tokyo would be also nice.  And Bali
> (near Jakarta) would be attractive. 10th anniversary and Jakarta's
> 10th anniversary --- "BACK to the FUTURE!"

As already mentioned we're putting together an event in late November
and early December in both Beijing and Colombo.  At this point, I
believe the events are fairly well planned and we'll be getting info out
to the public soon.  There's only a couple of people volunteering and
everyone is very busy, so we're a little slow on getting it organized.

We've had very mixed success on events in Asia.  The larger event in
Hong Kong in 2007 was cancelled due to insufficient registration.  At
this point, we look for a local sponsor such as a trusted individual,
user group, or local company to take a lot of the lead in these events.

--
   J. Aaron Farr
   馮傑仁

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Tetsuya,

If you have contacts in any of these locations, I would encourage you
to subscribe to the concom mailing list and join the discussion there.
Venues for conferences, including Asia conferences, are being
discussed there. Also, there's a few years of accumulated knowledge of
what has and has not worked in Asia, including some attempts to hold
events in China.

--Rich

On Oct 21, 2009, at 07:15 , Tetsuya Kitahata wrote:

>> The concom is currently planning an Apache "road show" in Beijing and
>> Colombo for Nov/Dec this year.
>
>> I'm not sure how widely this event has yet been publicised, at least
>> [1] or [2] don't yet mention it.
>
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/conferences.html
>> [2] http://us.apachecon.com/c/
>
> If in Beijing, Japanese and Korean can participate really
> easily. (and we can understand Chinese characters).
> # Plus, I am sure that there could be a lot of Sponsors there.
> # Our language is very similar to Chinese. Samsung (Korea)
> # etc. ... maybe?
>
> If Colombo, we can not. (Take so much money) - and the
> Japanese company won't be the sponsors.
>
> ----
>
> Hold in China , gather a lot of money and take the Sri Lankans
> for free (in a sense) to China would be the wiser solution. maybe.
> Just a short comment. Ty.
>
>> Jukka Zitting
>
> Tetsuya Kitahata

Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
> The concom is currently planning an Apache "road show" in Beijing and
> Colombo for Nov/Dec this year.

> I'm not sure how widely this event has yet been publicised, at least
> [1] or [2] don't yet mention it.

> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/conferences.html
> [2] http://us.apachecon.com/c/

If in Beijing, Japanese and Korean can participate really
easily. (and we can understand Chinese characters).
# Plus, I am sure that there could be a lot of Sponsors there.
# Our language is very similar to Chinese. Samsung (Korea)
# etc. ... maybe?

If Colombo, we can not. (Take so much money) - and the
Japanese company won't be the sponsors.

----

Hold in China , gather a lot of money and take the Sri Lankans
for free (in a sense) to China would be the wiser solution. maybe.
Just a short comment. Ty.

> Jukka Zitting

Tetsuya Kitahata

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org> wrote:
> I am now thiking of the ApacheCon Asia Plan in Indonesia,
> near Jakarta.
> (Bali) --- Maybe Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Taipei .....
>
> Considering the history of ASF, maybe Bali would be the nice
> place (DIfferrent island but we can go Jakarta!!).
>
> WDYT >> ALL

The concom is currently planning an Apache "road show" in Beijing and
Colombo for Nov/Dec this year.

I'm not sure how widely this event has yet been publicised, at least
[1] or [2] don't yet mention it.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/conferences.html
[2] http://us.apachecon.com/c/

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: ApacheCon at ASIA

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> and community:

I see.

I am hesitating sending mails so much recently here :)

I am now thiking of the ApacheCon Asia Plan in Indonesia,
near Jakarta.
(Bali) --- Maybe Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Taipei .....

Considering the history of ASF, maybe Bali would be the nice
place (DIfferrent island but we can go Jakarta!!).

WDYT >> ALL

I just raised this issue because the ApacheCon US is in the near.
Do not forget ASIA, please!! >>> ALL

ty

Tetsuya

----