Posted to users@flex.apache.org by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr> on 2019/06/02 09:51:26 UTC

RE: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

A lot of AIR devs have pointed out that they would prefer paying for AIR if
it meant a good roadmap, communication and support. I agree that my company
wouldn't mind paying a licence / sit or anything similar to Unity (we
already pay them) for similar services.

Can't wait to hear about the plans you come up with :)

Re: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Posted by hugo <hf...@gmail.com>.
"None of the tools out there are so significantly better, faster, quicker
than Flex/AIR that we'd realize significantly improved development velocity
or app performance. "
"Cross platform mobile app tools are jockeying"
Well, I have news.
In fact there is !
It's called Xamarin.

"We do not see a business reason to rewrite existing apps on a new
platform."
Very uncertain future.
I think that I don't need to explain why.

"And it makes sense for Adobe to get out of the business anyway"
Everything Adobe buy and it's coding, they give away.

Re: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Posted by Erik Thomas <er...@icloud.com>.
All mobile development tools have their pros and cons, but our evaluation of the situation have led us to these conclusions:

Having more than 25 combined years of Flex development experience between my three-man team, about half that in mobile AIR, we somehow got very good along the way and can knock out new mobile apps and add features quickly without stress or climbing new learning curves. When you use the same tool for that long you develop your own extensive libraries, frameworks, widgets, utilities, etc., and you fine tune them during every new project. Switching platforms now would cost us dearly in learning curves, waiting on functionality from tool vendors, working around various limitations, developing our own foundation of code, etc., and we figure it would take a few years to get to where we'd be as fast as we are today.
None of the tools out there are so significantly better, faster, quicker than Flex/AIR that we'd realize significantly improved development velocity or app performance.
We have a number of apps we maintain and switching platforms means we have to maintain the old ones on AIR as long as possible, while learning a new stack. We believe this will drastically reduce overall development velocity.
We do not see a business reason to rewrite existing apps on a new platform.
Cross platform mobile app tools are jockeying for position and some will fail by the time we need to switch, so deciding on any one platform now is a waste of time. New tools are showing up with great promise, but they have a lot of maturing to do to reach parity with AIR/Flex. Xamarin is mature and would be one we'd look at when the time comes, but who knows what this space will look like in a few years.

In conclusion, we have decided to ride the AIR train as long as possible, and if paying a vendor to maintain AIR gets us more life out of our IP and investment in our tech stack, then that's what we will do. It makes sense to pay for value. We've had a free ride on AIR for so long, that it's only right we pay for what we get, and with someone maintaining it for profit, we may not need so many ANEs, and it may be a lot less painful to deal with Apple/Google whims to piss off all of us with new requirements. I'd pay a lot to have someone else deal with Apple/Google headaches.

And it makes sense for Adobe to get out of the business anyway. They have been so gracious for so many years, maintaining it with virtually no revenue stream other than AMS licenses for folks using AIR to serve video (correct me if I'm wrong and there is some hidden revenue stream Adobe gets for maintaining AIR--but I doubt it exists).

This move was inevitable, and we are quite optimistic that we'll get another 5+ years out of our current mobile tech stack.

We'll switch when the business decision becomes compelling, not before.

But for folks who don't have a lot invested in AIR, their business decision could be very different.

My $.02.

Cheers,

Erik

On Jun 12, 2019, at 7:00 AM, hugo <hf...@gmail.com> wrote:

This can't be bad for AIR, comparing to the current state.
AIR is beeing in maintenance mode for least the last 2 years.
I was just waiting for them to officially end it.

Unfortunately Android x64 bits thing and the Adobe silent for so long until
almost until the dead line forced me to evaluate other options and I did it.
I'm moving from Flex/AIR on Mobile to Xamarin so it's hard to go back to
Flex/AIR on Mobile after this and I believe that many others are doing the
same, skrinking even futher the Flex comunity.
Xamarin, it's a complete new fresh paradigm for better, I must say.

Even so, Flex/AIR, on Desktop for me, continue to be the best option.
Desktop market is stable (comparing with Mobile).

I still don't understand why this was made silent for so long time !
It's not the launching of a rocket (even that, would be less secret !).
It was all too exaggerated, unnecessary and the result it's on your front.

Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au

Re: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Posted by leokan23 <le...@best-web.gr>.
It looks like Harman got some extra grace period from Google. AIR was added
in the list of excluded frameworks, from the 64bit enforcement, for another
12 months. This is only for existing apps, which will be updated and not for
new apps.

You can read more  here
<https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2019/01/get-your-apps-ready-for-64-bit.html>

Re: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Posted by Lydecker <za...@zizunetwork.co.uk>.
Latest Flex details from Harman:

"We want to ensure that the ‘new’ AIR SDK works with all of your existing
tools/IDEs, and have gone through a few of these internally so far to make
sure this does work. We will still publish a version that is compatible with
the Flex SDK – our aim would be to consolidate these into one, if that’s
technically possible"

Re: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
My opinion is that this movement is very interesting. As I read all news I
think it could bring lots of fresh "air" to the AIR platform.
I saw Andrew Involved in Royale and having him as a point of contact with
HARMAN makes the technology "closer" to Flex and Royale.
And seems they are thinking and have many plans to propose for AIR
platform. As well having different tiers (free, payed) seems to me the way
to go to get revenue of the platform

I think right now the main point to ensure AIR continues to be a trusted
platform is to make it always in sync with SO vendors changes and decisions
(iOS Apple Store changes, Android 64bit changes, Mac OS new 10.14.5. notary
process, and more)

So for now all seems very promising! :)

El lun., 3 jun. 2019 a las 6:26, Tucsonjhall (<Jh...@cactusware.com>)
escribió:

> That actually is quite reassuring.

Carlos Rovira
http://about.me/carlosrovira

Re: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes

Posted by Tucsonjhall <Jh...@cactusware.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 6/2/19, 2:15 PM, "Tucsonjhall" <Jh...@cactusware.com> wrote:

    My product is $99 per user for a year. I don't mind paying my one-seat
    developer fee each year (big company of 1), but if it's a per seat license
    for users, I'm going to be looking hard at migrating.

    I am also very interested in the reaction of some of the main developers
    here, like Alex. How does this affect your participation in the Flex Users
    Group?

It does not affect my participation at all.  Adobe continues to pay me to work on Flex and Royale.  I continue to be willing to do so.  And should Adobe change its mind someday, I have the option of finding other people to pay me to work on Flex and Royale.  That is the advantage of Flex and Royale being at Apache.  No corporation has complete control over who contributes to a project.

-Alex

    --
    Sent from: https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7Caharui%40adobe.com%7C1f350167111b46ad1c6e08d6e79f78ea%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636951069477869317&amp;sdata=iQTrzEta1mtjH8r7A%2BNWVMIJHm3nksjrzUDwi9D7Nz8%3D&amp;reserved=0

RE: Adobe AIR Maintenance and support changes