Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/27 20:19:53 UTC

Re: load balancing?

On 7/26/07, cui.hailin <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> in Apache ServiceMix > Home > Documentation > Guides > Clustering

Please see my responses inline below:

> 1,load balancing of messages across servers/machines ?

Multiple JMS consumers can be pointed at a single queue and compete
for the consumption of messages providing load balancing
functionality. This can allow multiple servicemix-jms consumers to
compete for messages, sending them into flows through identical groups
of components deployed on separate instances of ServiceMix.

ServiceMix also provides the ability to create your own
EndpointResolver and/or  EndpointChooser. The EndpointResolver employs
the strategy pattern for plugging in custom policies for resolving
endpoints and uses an EndpointChooser to provide the actual endpoint
selection policy. See the Javadocs for info:

http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/dist/servicemix-3.1-incubating/site/core/servicemix-core/apidocs/org/apache/servicemix/jbi/resolver/EndpointResolver.html
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/dist/servicemix-3.1-incubating/site/core/servicemix-core/apidocs/org/apache/servicemix/jbi/resolver/EndpointChooser.html

> 2,high availability (HA) of services and fault tolerance (if a machine
> crashes, messages are automatically redelivered to another machine

HA is provided by configuring ActiveMQ for this purpose. ServiceMix is
built on top of the ActiveMQ message broker so all of the ActiveMQ HA
features are available within ServiceMix. Most typically this involves
configuring a network of brokers in a master/slave configuration. See
the ActiveMQ docs for more info on this.

> 3,durability (persist messages to disk/database) to ensure they survive
> catastrophic hardware failure

Again, this feature is provided by way of the ActiveMQ message broker
and it's implementation of the JMS 1.1 spec. Persistent messaging is
configured in ActiveMQ by default and is easy to reconfigure in a
custom manner.

BTW, this message should be on the servicemix-users list, so I'm
CC'ing that list.

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/