Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com> on 2014/01/28 04:26:28 UTC

Balancer switch runs causing problems

We are seeing one other issue with high read latency (p99 etc.) on one of
our read heavy hbase clusters which is correlated with the balancer runs -
every 5 minutes.

If there is no balancing to do, does the balancer only scan the table every
5 minutes - does it do anything on top of that if the regions are balanced ?

Varun

Re: Balancer switch runs causing problems

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
/**
 * A janitor for the catalog tables.  Scans the <code>.META.</code> catalog
 * table on a period looking for unused regions to garbage collect.
 */
class CatalogJanitor extends Chore {
  private static final Log LOG =
LogFactory.getLog(CatalogJanitor.class.getName());
  private final Server server;
  private final MasterServices services;
  private boolean enabled = true;

  CatalogJanitor(final Server server, final MasterServices services) {
    super(server.getServerName() + "-CatalogJanitor",
      server.getConfiguration().getInt("hbase.catalogjanitor.interval",
300000),

Is it the above?

Enable RPC DEBUG-level logging on that server around the time that you see
the incidence and see if that helps give you a clue.

St.Ack

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
/**

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Varun,

Which balancer have you configured, and which version of HBase are you
using?

JM

2014-01-27 Varun Sharma <va...@pinterest.com>