Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> on 2009/06/04 23:50:18 UTC

Re: Update on ASF Release requirements

Just to bring the thread back up in light of the recent discussions of
plugin releases:
John has taken over the assembly release that contains the fix I put in for
the ASF stuff. I've been travelling a lot the past two weeks and haven't
progressed much on the poms. Tomorrow or monday I should have time to take
the latest assembly stage and get the apache assembly descriptor and all the
poms updated and tested out.

Note that the work we are doing here is to make it easier to define this for
all maven (and later asf) projects and be inherited correctly. This does not
mean that all pending releases must be blocked waiting for these changes.
You can make a source release quite easily with the existing plugin
versions.

It's also worth nothing that now we know about the requirement, we must have
a source release, ignoring the requirement simply because we didn't know it
was a requirement in the past isn't an option.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
Well, I'm not sure what to say about that. I guess I could say if it's
not on the release docs, it's not policy? It's a little frustrating to
constantly chase a standard that isn't documented and which there are
many opinions of. I'll solve this particular problem of the source
release for now. I haven't built up the motivation to open yet another
open ended discussion to get something agreed upon after the last
fiasco to be honest.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:56 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2009, at 4:52 AM, Brian Fox wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 4:22 AM, David
>> Jencks<da...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I don't have the quote handy but Roy stated pretty clearly that
>>> expected
>>> checkout roots are sufficiently distribution-like to be required
>>> to have
>>> LICENSE and NOTICE files in svn.
>>>

>> I don't recall anything like that, in fact I understood the opposite,
>> that the svn roots are not sufficient to be source releases. If
>> that's
>> the case, they can't be considered distributions and thus don't fall
>> under the license and notice requirements.
>
> There's a very long thread in jan 2008.... I'm not a master of mail
> archives but it's here
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200801.mbox/thread
>
> LICENSE and NOTICE files and SVN
>
> and a particularly relevant post
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200801.mbox/%3CE9D17D5F-3A68-4968-AB26-49586D558B14@gbiv.com%3E
>
> -----
> > Maybe you could point to some documentation that makes your point
> > that the Apache svn repository is itself a distribution subject to
> > LICENSE and NOTICE requirements.
>
> The NOTICE file exists to fulfill our obligations under our license
> and the licenses of any third-party code that we redistribute.
> We try to be as proactive about that as possible.  The NOTICE is
> in subversion because the board added a notice that all of our
> projects must carry.  It needs to be in subversion when a
> third-party something that requires such a notice is also within
> subversion.  Finally, each release package's NOTICE must reflect
> all of the required notices of all of the parts within that package.
> ---------
>
> Given this I think it's more in line with apache policy to fail if
> the LICENSE/NOTICE files are missing than to try to guess at what
> should be in and add them.
And one more thing :-D

Also, in general the LICENSE and NOTICE files apply to what's actually
in the artifact.  So for the source-archive it's for the actual source
code in svn and shouldn't include any stuff for other code that may
get into binary artifacts by shading, unpacking, copying, generating,
including, etc etc. that the binary artifact legal files have to talk
about.   I think it would be too confusing to try to generate separate
files for the source and binary artifacts.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Multi module project using maven-release-plugin

Posted by "Potgieter, Derick D" <De...@standardbank.co.za>.
Hi All,

I'm a bit new to the whole maven thing so bare with me please.

I'm having issues with the release plugin. I can release my "core"
library's with out any problems but I'm struggling with the multi module
project.

1. When I do a prepare for my project, the web module fails saying it
cant get the EJB module from my remote repository.
	-> 	I understand it fails because the previous step of
building the EJB module doesn't actually install it in my local/remote
rep.
		But why doesn't it, or how do I get it resolved
internally. I would think the release plugin should do this.
		The work around is to manually release every module, but
that sort of seems like a waist.

2. I'm getting this error when building my project (on parent and web
module level)
	[WARNING] POM for
'cib.ibot:PLAUTO-EJB:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT:provided' is invalid.
	Its dependencies (if any) will NOT be available to the current
build.

	->	This is my EJB module, everything still works fine, but
the ear plugin seems to ignore my dependencies.
		So my ear contains nothing in the lib folder, I have to
manually add a dependency on all my dependencies from the EJB pom.

	Any ideas?

My structure is :
CoreLib
	-src
		-...
	-pom.xml
Project1
	-pom.xml (Parent)
	-EJB
		-src
			-...
		-pom.xml
	-WAR
		-src
			-...
		-pom.xml
	-EAR
		-src
			-...
		-pom.xml

Thanks
Derick
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Standard Bank email Disclaimer and confidentiality note

This e-mail, its attachments and any rights attaching hereto are, unless the content clearly indicates otherwise, the property of
Standard Bank Group Limited and its subsidiaries. It is confidential, private and intended for only the addressee.

Should you not be the addressee and receive this e-mail by mistake, kindly notify the sender, and delete this e-mail immediately.
Do not disclose or use it in any way. Views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender unless clearly stated as
those of Standard Bank Group.

Standard Bank Group accepts no liability for any loss or damages howsoever incurred, or suffered, resulting, or arising,
from the use of this email or its attachments.

Standard Bank Group does not warrant the integrity of this e-mail nor that it is free of errors, viruses, interception or interference.

Licensed divisions of the Standard Bank Group are authorised financial services providers in terms of the Financial Advisory and
Intermediary Services Act, No 37 of 2002 (FAIS).

For information about the Standard Bank Group visit our website http://www.standardbank.com

Re: Update on ASF Release requirements

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
This particular assembly descriptor is a one-time case for the assembly
plugin only. It's not the one that Brian was talking about, since that
one will have to be much more generalized to handle the variability of
other projects. In this case, I know that the build directory for the
assembly plugin is 'target' so there's no danger here. The descriptor
isn't included in the binary artifact, so we should be fine.

-john

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Barrie Treloar<ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM, John Casey<jd...@commonjava.org> wrote:
>> Is this still happening with maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-beta-4?
>
> It was 2.2-beta-2, I'll check -4

2.2-beta-4 behaves correctly.

Re: Update on ASF Release requirements

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.