Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Tuomo Pyhälä <tp...@niksula.hut.fi> on 2003/11/24 17:25:43 UTC

Initial problems when using jmeter

Hi,

I tried jmeter and for me it seems to be somewhat slow. I tried running it
on 1.3GHz PC (Running RH Linux 9.0, JDK 1.4.2) , and I was able to get
throughput ~100req/min. For me this seems to be quite small amount of
requests! The machine running jmeter seems to be running out of cpu (cpu
usage ~100%). The machine running the server had a plenty of idle cpu
power. I wonder, what might be the reason for the behavior?

I tried running jmeter on other machines also (different OS), and
observed similar behavior. The test plan included some https-requests,
cookie-manager and authentication manager. I checked the requests to
retrieve the images also and added some assertions. I think ~100req/s
excludes retrieved images but still, it is a low amount of requests as
the pages have maybe 5 images or so per page. What should I do to improve
the performance?

Re: Initial problems when using jmeter

Posted by Jordi Salvat i Alabart <js...@atg.com>.
1/ Try different java arguments. The default one "-Xincgc" is pretty
poor. Something like this will probably improve things:
-Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:NewSize=64m -XX:MaxNewSize=64m
-XX:MaxLiveObjectEvacuationRatio=40 -XX:SurvivorRatio=8

2/ Avoid having your samplers download the images. Downloading the
images requires parsing the HTML code, which is an expensive task.

Hope this helps,

Jordi.

En/na Tuomo Pyhälä ha escrit: