Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Graham Lounder <gr...@caris.com> on 2004/08/10 19:50:16 UTC

[beanutils] copyProperties and Hibernate lazy collections

Hey All,

I'm having problems with BeanUtils.copyProperties() and hibernate's lazy
collections.  Almost all my list in hibernate are setup as lazy list so
they will only be populated when they are refereneced for the first
time.  This has been working great so far but as soon as I try to copy
on of my objects to an ActionForm, it runs out of memory.  I'm assuming
that the copy Properties method is going into the lazy collections and
initializing them (which I don't want to happen).

Is there any way to tell BeanUtils to only copy Simple Properties?  Or
is there a way to get it to ignore properties that return a List object?

Cheers,
Graham

Graham Lounder - Java Developer
Spatial Components Division

CARIS www.caris.com
Tel: +1-506-458-8533 Fax: +1-506-459-3849
115 Waggoner's Lane, Fredericton, New Brunswick, E3B 2L4, Canada.

CARIS 2004 - Where Waterways Meet
9th International User Group Conference and Educational Sessions
22-25 November 2004, Hotel Hafen Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Visit www.caris.com/caris2004 or e-mail caris2004@caris.nl for more.

Re: [beanutils] copyProperties and Hibernate lazy collections

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi graham

(hopefully this is better late than never...)

i'd suggest subclassing BeanUtilsBean, subclassing copyProperties so
that it works the way you want. then register your new instance early
in the lifecycle of your application.

- robert