Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Cameron B. Prince" <cp...@rideware.com> on 2003/07/18 19:30:22 UTC

IPC Open / IPC Run

I just realized, I meant to say IPC::Run below from my previous post.

Re: IPC Open / IPC Run

Posted by Barrie Slaymaker <ba...@slaysys.com>.
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 12:30:22PM -0500, Cameron B. Prince wrote:
> I just realized, I meant to say IPC::Run below from my previous post.
>
> > I also read a post about IPC::Open... I looked at the synopsis and it
> looks rather complicated.

Only if you're trying to do something complicated, like keep a long
lived subprocess around and interact with it.  For batch mode
subprocesses, all you need is run().

You might also try IPC::Run3 which is less bloated, but uses temp files
instead of select() to Keep It Simple, Slaymaker.

> > Is this definately a better way to go?

Define "better" ;).  Simpler, yes, if what you're trying to do is
simpler.

- Barrie