Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Erik Drolshammer <er...@fjas.no> on 2008/01/31 08:58:07 UTC

Contribute documentation

Hi!
I have written documentation to make it easier for myself and my
colleagues to use Maven on complex projects. The documentation is
problem-centric and organized as a FAQ. I have tried really hard to
avoid duplicating the official docs, but I have not checked it against
for example the wiki.

Are you interested in these docs? If yes, where do you want me to
contribute it?

(It is currently in Confluence-format, so putting it in the wiki is the
easiest approach.)

_TOC_

# Concepts and general theory

           o What is Maven?
           o I want to start using Maven. Where do I start?
           o The %¤#&#/%¤£@§%¤ thing doesn't work properly. Where can I
get help?
           o How does Maven compare to Ant?
           o How to create and apply Subversion patches?
           o How are projects and modules different? Are artifacts
created from projects, modules or both?
           o How to decide whether some code should be a separate module
in a multi-module project, or a separate project?
           o When should I use pluginManagement?
           o How to convert an Ant project to Maven?
           o How to handle libraries that cannot be found in any public
Maven repository?
           o How to get a parent pom located in the company Maven
repository when the parent defines the repositories?
                       # Use profiles
                       # Use svn externals
           o How to debug problems related to different versions of a
dependency?
           o How to see more information about a plugin (e.g. which
version is actually used)?
           o How to use profiles
           o How to change environment at build-time using profiles

# How to ...?

           o How to use deploy
           o How to deploy to an application container?
           o How to deploy to IBM WebSphere?
           o How to cut a release?
           o How to use TestNG with Maven
           o How to use webstart
           o How to use jetty
           o How to verify that JSPs compile?
           o How to best take advantage of apache and codehaus snapshot
repos?
           o How to create an executable jar with all run-time
dependencies included
           o How to assemble an application
                       # Example: "superJar" that contains all the
project's dependencies
                       # How to create an assembly with custom descriptor

# IDE tips & tricks

           o How to get code completion in an IDE
           o How to make javadoc and sources available to your IDE

--
Regards
Erik Drolshammer

Re: Contribute documentation

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Erik,

2008/1/31, Erik Drolshammer <er...@fjas.no>:
> Hi!
> I have written documentation to make it easier for myself and my
> colleagues to use Maven on complex projects. The documentation is
> problem-centric and organized as a FAQ. I have tried really hard to
> avoid duplicating the official docs, but I have not checked it against
> for example the wiki.
>
> Are you interested in these docs? If yes, where do you want me to
> contribute it?

Sure!
If you could create apt or xdoc files, go there:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNGSITE

> (It is currently in Confluence-format, so putting it in the wiki is the
> easiest approach.)

We are using confluence too
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Home

Cheers,