Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Craig Baird <cr...@xpressweb.com> on 2005/04/08 01:50:00 UTC

Net::DNS trouble

I just attempted an upgrade from SA 2.64 to 3.0.2, and am now having problems
with SURBLs and RBLs not working.  I upgraded all of the perl modules
mentioned in INSTALL to the latest versions prior to installing SA 3.0.2,
including Net::DNS, which is at version 0.49.  When I run:

spamassassin -D --lint

I get the following two messages relating to Net::DNS:

debug: diag: module installed: Net::DNS, version (undef)
debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? no
debug: is DNS available? 0

I assume this means that SpamAssassin can't figure out what version of
Net::DNS I'm running, and is therefore failing to use it.  I tried downgrading
Net::DNS to version 0.48 with the same results.

I have four SA servers, all with Debian Woody, and have tried to upgrade two
of them to 3.0.2.  This problem is happening on both of these machines.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Craig

Re: Net::DNS trouble

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> However, I still don't know how to fix this problem.  As I mentioned, I
> installed Net::DNS using CPAN.  When that didn't work, I also tried re-
> installilng using the tarball.  I tried tarballs for 0.49 and 0.48 with
the
> same results.  Any suggestions?

What version does SA think you have installed?
My guess is you have multiple installs, or multiple partial installs, and SA
is finding an old one.

        Loren

Re: Net::DNS trouble

Posted by Craig Baird <cr...@xpressweb.com>.
Quoting Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org>:

> If this is another debian box, I recommend sticking with debian packages
> for everything.  Use CPAN to remove the package, then install it via
> apt-get.
>
> ii  libnet-dns-perl
> 0.48-1                               Perform DNS queries from a Perl script
>
> If it claims you have this package installed, try "apt-get install
> --reinstall libnet-dns-perl"

Thanks Chris.  This actually is a debian box.  I tried removing the CPAN
package, and installing the Debian one.  No luck.  Still had the same
problem.  However, after looking around a bit, I found that I apparently had
an old version of Net::DNS (0.23) hanging around in another directory.  This
old version seems to have come from razor-agents-sdk.   I manually deleted it,
and Spamassassin now sees Net::DNS 0.49, so I think I'm good to go.  Thanks to
you and Jeff for your help.

Craig

Re: Net::DNS trouble

Posted by Chris Thielen <cm...@someone.dhs.org>.
Hi Craig,

Craig Baird wrote:

>Quoting Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>:
>

>>The usual way problems like this happen is when upgrades are done
>>using different mechanisms, i.e. CPAN vs tarball vs Subversion,
>>etc.
>>
>>The different upgrade mechanisms have different ways of keeping
>>track of versions, paths, etc. and if those methods are mixed
>>*for the same program* they can get confused.
>>
>>One solution is to always use CPAN, always use tarballs, always
>>use subversion, etc.  I.e. pick one and stick with it.
>>

>However, I still don't know how to fix this problem.  As I mentioned, I
>installed Net::DNS using CPAN.  When that didn't work, I also tried re-
>installilng using the tarball.  I tried tarballs for 0.49 and 0.48 with the
>same results.  Any suggestions?

If this is another debian box, I recommend sticking with debian packages
for everything.  Use CPAN to remove the package, then install it via
apt-get.

ii  libnet-dns-perl
0.48-1                               Perform DNS queries from a Perl script

If it claims you have this package installed, try "apt-get install
--reinstall libnet-dns-perl"

HTH

Re: Net::DNS trouble

Posted by Craig Baird <cr...@xpressweb.com>.
Quoting Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>:

> The usual way problems like this happen is when upgrades are done
> using different mechanisms, i.e. CPAN vs tarball vs Subversion,
> etc.
>
> The different upgrade mechanisms have different ways of keeping
> track of versions, paths, etc. and if those methods are mixed
> *for the same program* they can get confused.
>
> One solution is to always use CPAN, always use tarballs, always
> use subversion, etc.  I.e. pick one and stick with it.

Hmmm... I see.  I did the upgrade via CPAN.  I can't remember for sure how I
installed the previous version.  Anyway, knowing now that this problem can
arise by mixing upgrade mechanisms, I'll try to stick with one method.

Re: Net::DNS trouble

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Thursday, April 7, 2005, 4:50:00 PM, Craig Baird wrote:
> I just attempted an upgrade from SA 2.64 to 3.0.2, and am now having problems
> with SURBLs and RBLs not working.  I upgraded all of the perl modules
> mentioned in INSTALL to the latest versions prior to installing SA 3.0.2,
> including Net::DNS, which is at version 0.49.  When I run:

> spamassassin -D --lint

> I get the following two messages relating to Net::DNS:

> debug: diag: module installed: Net::DNS, version (undef)
> debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? no
> debug: is DNS available? 0

> I assume this means that SpamAssassin can't figure out what version of
> Net::DNS I'm running, and is therefore failing to use it.  I tried downgrading
> Net::DNS to version 0.48 with the same results.

> I have four SA servers, all with Debian Woody, and have tried to upgrade two
> of them to 3.0.2.  This problem is happening on both of these machines.

The usual way problems like this happen is when upgrades are done
using different mechanisms, i.e. CPAN vs tarball vs Subversion,
etc.

The different upgrade mechanisms have different ways of keeping
track of versions, paths, etc. and if those methods are mixed
*for the same program* they can get confused.

One solution is to always use CPAN, always use tarballs, always
use subversion, etc.  I.e. pick one and stick with it.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org