Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org> on 2009/08/13 15:17:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] What versions to put into assembly of SMX4(-SNAPSHOT)

Hi fellow devs,

I am just wondering what is a better approach for handling the build
of SMX4 assembly in the means of contained bundle versions.
For now  the assembly (even 4.1.0-SNAPSHOT) does only come with the
recent stable releases of our components and other
deps - for instance 2009.01 for components even while the snapshots of
those components are improved.
So if someone is downloading a dev snapshot of smx4 he will get stable
versions of the components but he may be interested in the latest
versions maybe.
Now he has to uninstall and install a newer version of several bundles
inside manually.

What do you think is the preferred way to build an assembly. I mean
there are 2 possibilities for that:

#1: Assemblies always only contain release versions of components and alike
#2: Assemblies may contain snapshot versions of components and alike

What do you think is best?

Regards
Lars

--
http://lhein.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] What versions to put into assembly of SMX4(-SNAPSHOT)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I think #2 is fine.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] What versions to put into assembly of SMX4(-SNAPSHOT)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lars,

+1 #2

I prefer the #2. The usage of snapshot is interesting during development
cycle.

Regards
JB

Posted by lhein <lh...@apache.org>.

-----

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars,

I prefer to #2.
The reason is
1. the SMX4 snapshot is just a snapshot, it's reasonable for snapshot
to have snapshot dependency, it's convenient during development cycle.
At least the snapshot component dependency can reminder us do
necessary component release first before we are going to release next
smx 4.x.

2. let customer install a new version of component is not an good idea
IMHO, considering the complexity of dependency.
For a instance, if a new component need different version of other 3rd
party libs which we already installed by default of smx4 kit, so use a
snapshot component and ensure all other 3rd party libs is usable with
the component snapshot.

So from my side, +1 for #2

Regards
Freeman