Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Wolfe <bw...@msn.com> on 2002/07/10 00:45:08 UTC

Servlet keeps calling init()

We have recently upgraded to iplanet6.0.  The code looks fine, and the
problem did not present itself before.

While placing a reasonable load on an individual servlet, it caused (or
causes) multiple re-initialization [destroy() - init()] calls from the class
loader on the servlet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  It must be some sort of configuration
problem.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Servlet keeps calling init()

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Brian Wolfe wrote:

> Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 18:45:08 -0400
> From: Brian Wolfe <bw...@msn.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Servlet keeps calling init()
>
> We have recently upgraded to iplanet6.0.  The code looks fine, and the
> problem did not present itself before.
>
> While placing a reasonable load on an individual servlet, it caused (or
> causes) multiple re-initialization [destroy() - init()] calls from the class
> loader on the servlet.

Does your servlet implement SingleThreadModel?  If so, you might actually
be seeing several instances be initialized, instead of the one instance
you get for non-STM servlets.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?  It must be some sort of configuration
> problem.

It's not necessarily a container problem at all.  The servlet spec allows
a container to load and unload a servlet instance as often as it wants to,
as long as it calls init() and destroy() at the appropriate times, so this
is perfectly legal behavior.  But, even if it is configurable, asking
about how to configure iPlanet on a Tomcat mailling list is unlikely to
get many useful responses :-).

> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian