Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2019/06/10 16:04:42 UTC

NB11.1 spec version increment?

Hi,

I'm just doing some checking up on the release process and wondering
how we want to handle incrementing spec versions with the revised
release plan?

With NB11.0 as far as I can tell, the release branch was made, the
spec version in the branch was incremented immediately (with -branch)
and the spec version in master was incremented immediately for the
next release.  That correct?

Now, given we're feature freezing and merging everything from master
to release branch, should we instead increment the spec version in
master as the first step in opening the merge window for NB11.2
*after* the NB11.1 release?

I assume we still need the branch spec increment on the release
branch?  If so, when?  Immediately for a beta build?  Or, as a last
step before tagging a voting candidate for final release?

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: NB11.1 spec version increment?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/19 8:54 AM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 16:39, Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Am I right in thinking you linked directly to the build artefacts
>>> rather than staging the testing releases?
>> Yes, for 11.0. Since we didn't have an announced beta/rc/vc releases it
>> seemed to be easier.
> Thanks.  Yes, have since found your testing release emails - for some
> reason were difficult to find - think my filtering went funny because
> they were also going to netcat.
>
>>> Out of interest, did you PR all required changes into the release
>>> branch or push directly to the repo?  I'm inclined to the former as a
>>> sanity check on whether I've picked up everything that needs doing
>>> anyway.
>> I usually announce the release workflow usually around the time when I
>> cut the release branch. Basically for cherry-picks, as they were
>> reviewed for master once, I committed them directly to the release
>> branch unless it would result a non-trivial merge. In the later case I
>> asked for a PR from the author(s) specific to the release branch.
> Thanks.  Well, that should be easier as we're merging everything from
> master now!
>
> However, I was thinking more about how you handled commits you made
> *only* on the release branch (release specific stuff like version
> number, launcher settings, etc.).  Of course, some of those may not be
> required now - sooner we can get them all configurable as build
> parameters the better!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil
Well if it was a really trivial change (like date change 2018 -> 2019),
I committed them directly everything else is through PR-s specific to
the release branch.

Re: NB11.1 spec version increment?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.