Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/21 02:09:53 UTC

Broken CI

After getting https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/646 in what I
think is a good state, I have no idea if it is safe or not to merge because
the 1st build GitHub shows is red:
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/runs/4589771553?check_suite_focus=true

I don't use GH actions the way we do here and I'm not sure why we need the
publish test result set when anyone can just look at the build logs.

Gary

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Tim Perry <ti...@gmail.com>.
My issues were all on master. I've always been able to work on release-2.x
in IntelliJ or Eclipse without any issue.

I'll have to check out master and see if it works now. I have it on the
back burner to try to figure out an improved status logger life cycle.

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I rarely have issues running tests from the mvn command line. Whatever we
have set up in GitHub seems quite complicated compared to most projects
I've seen. From Eclipse, sometimes tests fail, but I never researched it,
the mvm cmd line is what matters most anyway.

Gary

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Carter Kozak <ck...@ckozak.net>.
I haven't had a test flake locally in the last 6 months (at least), if we see flaky tests I'm in favor of fixing them rather than working around them.

fwiw the non GitHub-actions tests work great on the release-2.x branch in my experience, when they aren't overwhelmed accessing build nodes anyhow. That said, I would prefer to get everything workin on GitHub actions as it seems to be the gold standard these days.

> Last time I tried I couldn't get the mainline code to load in IntelliJ or Eclipse because of the packing changes that were in progress.

I find release-2.x works nicely with IntelliJ idea when I set the project-level sdk to jdk8. the master branch may be another story. I have an INFRA ticket open to switch the default branch to reduce confusion: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-22641

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Tim Perry <ti...@gmail.com>.

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci>.
`Error: Resource not accessible by integration` failure caused by
`action-surefire-report` trying to access the job triggered by a user who
doesn't have commit rights to the repo. I have actually tried to explain
this in detail in my earlier email. Let me know if that wasn't clear enough.

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci>.

Re: Broken CI

Posted by Volkan Yazıcı <vo...@yazi.ci>.
I have simplified(?) the GitHub Actions `build` workflow in `release-2.x`.

Removed `action-surefire-report` usage, hence no extra privileges should be
necessary anymore.
Removed the `-Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true` flag, hence all tests need
to pass.